New Braunfels Herald Zeitung, February 28, 1985

New Braunfels Herald Zeitung

February 28, 1985

View full page Start A Free Trial!

Issue date: Thursday, February 28, 1985

Pages available: 16

Previous edition: Wednesday, February 27, 1985

Next edition: Friday, March 1, 1985 - Used by the World's Finest Libraries and Institutions
About New Braunfels Herald Zeitung About

Publication name: New Braunfels Herald Zeitung

Location: New Braunfels, Texas

Pages available: 164,099

Years available: 1952 - 2013

Learn more about this publication
  • 2.10+ billion articles and growing everyday!
  • More than 400 years of papers. From 1607 to today!
  • Articles covering 50 U.S.States + 22 other countries
  • Powerful, time saving search features!
Start your membership to the world's largest newspaper archive now!
Start your genealogy search now!
See with your own eyes the newspapers your great-great grandparents held.

View sample pages : New Braunfels Herald Zeitung, February 28, 1985

All text in the New Braunfels Herald Zeitung February 28, 1985, Page 1.

New Braunfels Herald-Zeitung (Newspaper) - February 28, 1985, New Braunfels, Texas 410 M053 MICROPLEX MITCH WOMBLE BOX 45436 TX 75245 285 Sfcllberger files for City Council District 3 ByDANASTELL Staff writer A fourth person has entered the face Of two seats on City as Darreil Sollberger filed Wed nesday for He will face local dentist Edward SciantarelH in that a certified public ac countant and a licensed securities said growth is but should be At the risk of being Im as all New Braunfels residents in main taining the quality of life Sollberger Thats a difficult task because of the inevitable The candidate pointed out that one benefit of growth is the increase in jobs it provides for the vouth of In order to deal with Sollberger he is in favor of participatory where the issues the city is faced with may be solved with public Sollberger said some of the issues important to him are at traction of winter visitors and con and disposal of I would say that I am interested in looking very closely at the winter tourist he Regarding this weeks Council decision raising the hotelmotel room Sollberger said he believed a compromise might have been reached at perhaps 5 percent rather than 6 It seemed the operators were asking for a little bit of help this year after coming off a bad Sewage he is an area that will experience growth and the issues are to prepare this so we can maintain that which we all Sollberger said a city should be ever watchful of encroachment from surrounding Having seen some of the areas surrounded by the city and the problems that annexation needs to be looked he As each finger goes take each at a The city needs to be able to improve services in newly annexed areas in the very near future as long as the provision of services in oilier areas doesnt take away from See Page 16 District District 4 Edward Sciantarelli Darreil Sollberger George Erben Rolf Moore Phafris MVP in 273A in Sports New Braunfels Herald New Texas Thursday February 25 Cents 16 Pages Port trial jury due Saturday By DEBBIE DeLOACH Staff writer Jury selection in the David Port murder trial has been progressing at a snails pace since But the minimum of 32 prospective jurors was reached late Reaching the minimum doesnt mean the Jobs District Judge McMaster said he would like to have a panel of at least 50 to make final selections from on Thats why prosecutor Mary Milloy and defense attorney Jack Zimmermann will continue to question prospective jurors hoping to finish with the first batch summoned Monday and The second summoned was told to report to the Courthouse Friday Those who qualified Wednesday were asked to report at Saturday for the final jury selection of 12 Comal County With any we will have a panel ready to go and start final jury selection on McMaster said Only 16 potential jurors were questioned about exposure to publicity on the case Six of those were excused because they already had concluded Ports guilt based on what they knew or various other while 10 were qualified on the publicity question Those 10 added to the 22 who qualified on publicity on Monday and Tuesday gave the prosecution and defense attorneys the minimum 32 prospective jurors required by But both sides are then allowed to strike disqualify 10 persons they do not want on the is charged with murder in the June 7 shooting of Houston mail carrier Debora Sue His trial was moved to New Braunfels on a change of venue last December because of extensive publicity there on the carriers death and on the refusal of Ports parent to testify before a Harris County Grand That extensive publicity has caused the onebyone questioning of prospective jurors on what theyve seen or heard about the Once the panel of 12 is its members will likely be sequestered ior the length of the McMaster has estimated that could mean lots of togetherness for two to three weeks maybe Inside Water Watch Comal down 81 Canyon cfs down 143 Canyon Dam same Edwards lup Canyon Lake clown Todays Weather A 30 percent chance of rain will increase to a 50 percent chance tonight and drop to a 20 percent chance Temperatures should reach the mid609 Pan Am hit by strike NEW YORK AP Picket lines went up from Miami to Honolulu today as transport union workers struck Pan American World Air virtually shutting down the financially troubled carriers domestic service and severely curtailing its overseas I think it is going to be a long said Transport Workers Union airline division director John who announced the strike of baggage han flight dispatchers and food service workers at Picket lines immediately went up at airports in Los San Francisco and Kerrigan said Pan Am pilots who settled their contract with the airline Tuesday have promised to honor TWU picket and other unions have advised their members to stay off the Pan Am spokesman James Arey said the airline will originate 14 flights from airports in the United States today two from San Fran three from eight from New York and one from Los The only flight with both departure and arrival in the United States is a New York to Ixs Angeles Pan Am usually runs 400 flights per day in the Travelers complained they had been stranded by the We didnt know anything until we were standing baggage in waiting to get off the plane in said Abbie who was returning home to from with a stopover in They said sorry for the the airline is on They just stranded us in Orlando said Rose who had been on a flight from New York to We got some passengers together and hired a car to drive to And they sent my baggage to Forty night shift workers set up picket lines at Pan Am ticket counters and at other locations at Honolulu International said Ken vice chairman of TWUs Hawaii The picket lines are being set up right we dont know if they will be Olaso Thats the biggest question right A HonoiulutoSan Francisco flight See Page 16 Gaskins follows Bluntzer as Democratic chairman A reflection on me I I SI II t lill VUI Melissa Farias checks her costume in a mirror in the Civic Center dressing room as she prepares to practice her talent for the annual Junior Miss Farias will be performing a traditional Mexican Saturdays which starts at in the Civic Virgil Gaskins is the new Comal County Democratic replacing local lawyer Tom Bluntzer who resigned who has been a precinct chairman and precinct election judge as well as a delegate to the state Democratic conventions for many awaits confirmation from the state Democratic The countys exe utive com mittee accepted Bluntzers resignation in their meeting He stated that he didnt think he had the time to take care of it the way it needs to Gaskins After his approval from the state he plans to support the Democratic Club as much as possible and coordinate with the precinct keeping them aware of any the new chairman The Democratic Club has been working hard on increasing inern VIRGIL GASKINS new Democratic chairman bership and has been an important asset to the I plan to help them in their efforts all 1 Gaskins We have lost the majority in this county to the and 1 hope to bring it CANYON DEAR 1 1 1 i TV steady growth due for Utilities By DEBBIE DeLOACH Staff writer New Braunfels Utilities can expect a healthy growth rate of over seven percent in its total kilowatt hour and a slight shift in where that demand will come from by A power requirement study for 19851994 done by Thomas Engineering was approved by Utilities trustees In taking the board through the studys consultant Jerry Thomas said the results showed a healthy growth rate ahead for Utilities based on fiveand tenyear projec For the study projected the number of residential customers could increase from in 1984 to in 1989 to in The total number of including commercial and in was projected to go from in 1984 to in or a percent annual growth The total kilowatt hour demand in grow percent in five and percent by The study also showed 84 percent of present residential customers could drop to 81 percent in 10 while the commercial class of could grow from percent to Thomas also said the residential demand for new Utilities customers inside and outside of the present city limits will probably stay at about SO SO for the next three to four That demand could then start to shift to 38 percent inside and 62 percent outside the limits by ending up at 20 percent in and 80 percent out by Utilities Manager Bob Sohn said the power requirement study would give him a baseline to project from and allow more efficient capacity and demand lxts approve get it published and make it he adding the study could also prove to be an in valuable to city planners as The board also authorized an electrical rate analysis and costof service itudy Thomas will also do study at an estimated cost of Sohn said an electric costofstudy See Page 16 ;