Questions? Call (888) 845-2887 Hablamos Español

Share Page

New Braunfels Herald Zeitung: Thursday, January 31, 1985 - Page 1

Get 1 more page view just for clicking

to like us on Facebook


   New Braunfels Herald-Zeitung (Newspaper) - January 31, 1985, New Braunfels, Texas                                Loefflen repeal new IRS guidelines f oiti Loeffler Wednesday introduced legislation to im mediately repeal Hew recordkeeping requirements imposed by the in ternal Revenue Service The which was cosponsored by 13 other members of the Texas would halt the extensive recordkeepingthat must by done by all taxpayers who Use personal property for business The new requirements went into effect These idiotic requirements afe the trivial pursuits by the Internal Revenue Service of the most minute details into the daily lives of millions of taxpaying American business men and said Such nothing requirements represent legs than punitive In the business taxpayers cbuld clato business deductions by reasonably reconstructing their Under the new the business taxpayer is requifed to keep a record each time the property is Taxpayers using motor vehicles in their businesses are how required to keep exact odometer readings each time the vehicle is used for a business Loeffler calling the new rule a needless act and a waste of We are trying to reduce govern See Page 8A 410 M053 MICROPLEX MITCH WOMBLE BOX 45436 TX 75245 298 I r Of Meese and men Biden nominee hasnt met higher standard JO Edwin Meese WASlflNGTON AP the ranking Democrat on the Senate Judiciary Committee says Edwin Meese MI is lawful and but unwilling to rise to the higher standard expected of an attorney In an emotional expression of doubt about Meeses Joseph Biden said that if the White House Counselor were genuinely contrite about past questionable he would give up his com mission as an Artny Reserve colonel and renounce some of his other Biden told Meese his concern relates to a higher standard that you have demonstrated to me in your responses you are not willing to step up even though youre and even though you have not violated any law inadvertently or The harsh questioning of Meeses fitness to serve came as the committee prepared to hear testimony today from David director of the Office of Government Martin has acknowledged that while Meese violated no ethics he created the appearances of conflict of confronted with Bidens doubts toward the end of a second day of grueling confirmation hearings responded that if he would devote every ounce of my energy and every moment of my time to setting a high ethical standard in the Cabinet But that assertion failed to convince or Howard who accused the presidential counselor of having a chronic recall problem concerning many questions about past I dont know if it would have changed my but it would have made me think a lot if Meese had shown a greater willingness to admit past Metzenbaum Meese said he had encountered hundreds of people each week in his White House job and said I by and the ability to recall has been pretty See Page 8A Snow again New Braunfels Herald New Texas Thursday January 25 Cents 16 Pages 2 Sections Storm chills state County set for third snow of season ByDANASTELL Staff writer The winter of 19841985 is on its way to becoming a recordbreaker with a third snow expected in South Texas tonight or It would be theTrrst time iri recorded history that snow fell here three times in one An arctic cold front that reached the area Wednesday night dropped temperatures 30 degrees and gusty winds pushed the the chill factor to about 5 degrees this Temperatures are expected to remain in the 20s dropping to about 22 with a 40 percent chance of freezing rain or Winds will gust from the north at 20 to 30 Theres a 60 percent chance of snow Friday with a high around the 30s and a low in the Wet and freezing with a slim chance of are expected to linger through the New Braunfels ISD superin See Page 8A Panhandle blanketed by ice sleet and freezing drizzle blanketed most of Texas and weather forecasters said the newest winter storm to hit the state would stay around for It doesnt look like theres going to be a break in this until Sunday or said James meteorologist for the National Weather Service in Fort It could be the longest cold spell that weve had this Virtually the entire state was under a winter storm and chill factors under zero were common because of northerly winds that gusted up to 20 and 30 Roads were reported extremely slick and hazardous this morning in many areas this morning where only light precipitation had ocQ curred so Freezing drizzle and JOD sleet overnight glazed a number of highways and overpasses with a thin coating of Light snow that added to the already treacherous driving The last time it Leo and Una Maxwell of 130 Meadow lost their front thanks to the wind and the weight of the foot of snow that fell Mike Mills Phillip Cobb and Clifford along with several members of New Braunfels Christian ISSUE KFflEWAlDI rebuilt the porch this The project may get the acid test as snow is again in the See Page 8A Inside Water Watch Cougar Progress Work on Canyons new baseball field is although the cold weather isnt Thursday Page CdMMl Rivet Canyon inflow Ccinyuri Dtini outflow EdwdMls Aquifer Canyon Uikts J46 cfs same 369 cfs up 91 800 cfs same 623 89 up 903 32 clown Todays Weather A winter storm warning is in effect through Friday with a 20 percent chance of freezing drizzle turning to a 40 percent chance of freezing rain or snow Theres a 60 percent chance of snow The high today will reach 25 and drop to 22 Yesterdays high was 72 and this mornings low was Sunset today will be at and sunrise tomorrow will be at Texas temperatures Water worries Sattler is but its water supply And that has Canyon Lake Fire Department officials See Page CANYON LAKE 38 CLASSIFIED 68B Thursday lows and precipitation hours ending at 7 Hi Corpus Dalhart Dallas Fort Houston Lubbock San 72 San Antonio Wichita Falls COMICS 5B for the 24 CROSSWORD 4B Ppn 036 Lo 11 0 29 67 6 52 3 19 17 44 DEAR ABBY 4B DEATHS 5A HOROSCOPE 4B KALEIDOSCOPE IB OPINIONS 4A SCRAPBOOK 2B 4 14 18 33 10 SPORTS STOCKS 5A TV LISTINGS SB ooo WEATHER 3A Man charged in Saturday stabbing incident A 30yearold Seguin man was charged Tuesday with aggravated assault in connection with the Saturday night stabbing of a New Braunfels Juan Manuel Moreno of Route Box has been released from Comal County Jail on He was arrested by David Wilson and Patrolman Russell Bell late Tuesday afternoon while working at at Conroy New Braunfels Police allege that Moreno stabbed Jose Garcia once in the back as he stood in the mens room at MCs 1306 San Police roundup In another police are searching for the persons who burglarized three homes here Juan Gusme said he has no suspects in the which all occurred during the daylight He does not believe the three OH Pahmeyer Overlook and Lakeview are Taken in the heists were substantial amounts of household such as stereo television and Gusme He does not yet have a dollar figure on the stolen Following these Gusme is asking residents of New Braunfels to be observant of their neighborhood 1 ask people the people to keep a special eye on their he Were not getting as much response about suspicious Gusine pointed out that someone watering a garden at this time of year is even considered suspicious and police want to know about it DAMASTELL Schroeder has videotaping concerns over redrawn Courthouse annex plans Bill Schroeder By LILLIAN THOMAS Staff writer When the architect working on plans for a new Courthouse Annexs plans redrew the district attorneys it provoked a reaction from District Attorney Bill The most recent which are still subject to put the grand jury room across the hallway from Schroeders rather than as a room inside his I had asked for the grand jury room to be a part of my offices because we now use videotaped testimony in enough cases that we need to have a way to get the equipment in there and secure Schroeder said in a telephone in In child sexual abuse and driving while intoxicated videotaping is allowed as In the a law written in 1983 allows three different ways videotaping of a childs testimony to take one of which would be prepared during the course of in vestigation and could be used with the grand Videotaping of a child victim of sexual abuse in Comal County has been used for the past six months by the Department of Human Resources in cooperation with law enforcement agencies to record the childs testimony for criminal and civil The equipmenteingelongs to County Attorney Bill Reuners and at this point the victims are brought to the Courthouse fur the This same equipment is then moved to the second floor of the courthouse now when the testimony needs to be shown to the gi and In DW1 the person charged is videotapedthe jail while per forming a physical sobriety The sheriffs department has its own videotape equipment and When the new Annex is videotaping equipment needed for the presentation oi a case to the grand jury will be kept in one not moved This may mean Schroeders office will have to have its own The taped evidence needs to be See Page 8A   

From 1607 To The Present

Once upon a time newspapers were our main source of information. Now those old newspapers are a reliable source for hundreds of years of history and secrets of the past. Now you can search for people, places, and events without the hassle of sorting through mountains of papers!

Growing Every Second

Newspaper Archive is the world's largest online newspaper database featuring over 145+ million newspaper pages. Plus our database expands by one newspaper page per second for a total of around 2.5 million pages per month! The value of your membership grows along with it.

Genealogy Made Simple

Those looking to find out more about their forefathers can empower their genealogy search with Newspaper Archive. Within our massive database, users can search ancestors' names for news stories and obituaries. We must understand our past to understand our future!

Choose the Membership Plan that is right for you!

Unlimited 6 Month

$99.95 (45% Savings!)

Unlimited page views for 6 months Learn More

Unlimited Monthly

$29.95

Unlimited page views for 1 month Learn More

Introductory

$9.95

10 page views for 1 month Learn More

Subscribe or Cancel Anytime by calling 888-845-2887

24 hours a day Monday-Saturday

Take advantage of our Introductory Membership offer and become a member for 1 month only for $9.95!

Your full introductory membership payment will be credited toward the cost of full membership any time you choose to upgrade!

Your Membership Includes:
  • 10 page views for 1 month
  • Access to Over 145+ million Newspaper Pages
  • Ability to View, Save, and Print
  • Articles featuring over 100 million people
  • Weekly Search Alerts - We search for you!
  • & Many More Features!
Subscribe for a Monthly Membership only for $29.95
Your Membership Includes:
  • Unlimited Page Views
  • Access to Over 145+ million Newspaper Pages
  • Ability to View, Save, and Print
  • Articles featuring over 100 million people
  • Full Access To All Content including 10 Foreign Countries
  • Weekly Search Alerts - We search for you!
  • & Many More Features!
Subscribe for a 6 Month Membership only for $99.95
Best Value! Save -45%
Your Membership Includes:
  • Unlimited Page Views
  • Access to Over 145+ million Newspaper Pages
  • Ability to View, Save, and Print
  • Articles featuring over 100 million people
  • Full Access To All Content including 10 Foreign Countries
  • Weekly Search Alerts - We search for you!
  • & Many More Features!

What our Customers Say:

"It is amazing how easy and exciting it is to access all of this information! I found hundreds of articles about my relatives from Germany! Well worth the subscription!" - Michael S.

"I love this site. It's interesting to read articles about different family members. I've found articles as well as an obituary about an uncle who passed away before I was born, and another about a great aunt. It's great for helping with genealogy." - Patricia T.

"A great research tool. Allows me to view events and gives me incredible insight into the stories of the past." - Charles S.

Search Billions of Newspaper Articles 145 Million+ Pages and More Added Weekly!

Uncover 400+ Years
of Newspaper Archives
(1607 to today!)

Browse by Date

Research Newspaper Articles from 19 Countries
& all 50 U.S. States

Browse by Location

Explore 6,200+ Current &
Historical Newspaper Titles
and Counting!

Browse by Publication