New Braunfels Herald Zeitung, October 22, 1982, Page 3

New Braunfels Herald Zeitung

October 22, 1982

View full page Start A Free Trial!

Issue date: Friday, October 22, 1982

Pages available: 32

Previous edition: Thursday, October 21, 1982

Next edition: Sunday, October 24, 1982

NewspaperARCHIVE.com - Used by the World's Finest Libraries and Institutions
About New Braunfels Herald ZeitungAbout NewspaperArchive.com

Publication name: New Braunfels Herald Zeitung

Location: New Braunfels, Texas

Pages available: 312,053

Years available: 1952 - 2013

Learn more about this publication
  • 2.05+ billion articles and growing everyday!
  • More than 400 years of papers. From 1607 to today!
  • Articles covering 50 U.S.States + 22 other countries
  • Powerful, time saving search features!
Start your membership to the world's largest newspaper archive now!
Start your genealogy search now!
See with your own eyes the newspapers your great-great grandparents held.

View sample pages : New Braunfels Herald Zeitung, October 22, 1982

All text in the New Braunfels Herald Zeitung October 22, 1982, Page 3.

New Braunfels Herald Zeitung (Newspaper) - October 22, 1982, New Braunfels, Texas New Braunfels Herald Zeitung Friday, October 22, 1982    3U.S., Arab nations eye peace plans WASHINGTON (AP) — The Reagan administation and top Arab leaders are complimenting each others’ Mideast peace plans, but U.S. officials are not predicting any “dramatic breakthrough” in talks today. A senior U.S. official said Reagan will tell an Arab League delegation that the road to peace requires Arab nations to “start coming out of the closet” and openly declare whether they will recognize Israel. The six-nation Arab delegation is headed by Morocco’s King Hassan and also includes the foreign ministers of Jordan, Syria, Algeria, Tunisia and Saudi Arabia. Secretary of State George P. Shultz met with Hassan at the home of the Moroccan ambassador here Thursday night in what was described as a courtesy call. Earlier in the day, Shultz conferred with Israeli Foreign Minister Yitzhak Shamir, primarily on Lebanon. The administration chose not to publicly object that the delegation includes a representative of the Palestine Liberation Organization, although U.S. officials said they wouldn’t allow him at their meetings. An Arab League official, Clovis Maksoud, chided the administration Thursday, saying the U.S. refusal to receive the PLO representative meant that only “six-sevenths” of the delegation would meet with Reagan. The purpose of the Arabs’ visit, planned long in advance, was to lobby for the Arab peace plan, adopted at Fez, Morocco last month, and to hear Reagan’s explanation of his peace initiative. However, both sides seemed to go out of their way in premeeting briefings to find good things to say. And neither side seemed to pay much heed to the fact that Israel has rejected both approaches. The senior U.S. official, who spoke anonymously, said Washington finds “constructive elements” in the Arab plan which calls for creation of a separate Palestinian state adjacent to Israel — a step Israel says it won’t tolerate. The senior official said the constructive elements in the Arab plan “involve the mention of Israel and the suggestion... of a willingness to recognize and live in peace with Israel.” Also significant, he said, is that the Arabs are agreed on a peace plan for the first time and are presenting it as a “framework for peace." But he said Reagan wants some clarifications, particularly on a provision calling on the United Nations to guarantee peace “among all states of the region,” which has been interpreted as indirect recognition of Israel. He said the Arab leaders will be told: “If that is what it means, why not just say so? If we want to start moving this process forward — start coming out of the closet on such issues which are key.” He also said it is essential that moderate Arab nations, especially Saudi Arabia, give Jordan a mandate to negotiate with Israel on behalf of the Palestinians. He said he thinks King Hussein is ready and that he would have the backing of many Palestinians. Compromise Israel outlasts conference ouster attempt NAIROBI, Kenya (AP) — Backed by the muscle of a major U.S. lobbying effort, Israel today narrowly survived an Arab bid to oust it from the U.N.-sponsored International Telecommunications Union conference. But Israel attacked the ITU’s final resolution, including the Western compromise that saved its membership, claiming the document contains “false accusations” against the Jewish state. The showdown here came hours after the Arab bloc at U.N. headquarters in New York dropped its campaign to expel Israel from the General Assembly. There, as in Nairobi, the Reagan administration had threatened a pullout and a funding boycott if Israel were expelled. After a debate that ran past midnight, the ITU delegates voted 61-57 in favor of a British-sponsored compromise that amended a tough Arab-sponsored draft resolution condemning Israel’s June 6 invasion of lebanon. Delegates then adopted the amended resolution 85-31. Both votes were by secret ballot. The British compromise retained a sharp criticism of Israeli military actions in Lebanon, but stripped from the original Algerian resolution a passage that would have barred Israel from ITU meetings, in effect expelling it from the union. The vote followed a U.S. threat to quit the six-week conference, which began Sept. 28, and suspend its $3.2 million in annual funding to the ITU if Israel were expelled. Other Western nations said they were considering similar actions. “If there has been one winner, one victor tonight, it is the ITU,” said British delegate Michael P. Davies, who led the floor fight on behalf of the compromise. “The union is together and thank God for that.” Australia, Belgium, Canada, Denmark, Ireland, Italy and Norway cosponsored the British package. The ITU traditionally deals with non political issues such as the allocation of shortwave radio frequencies and telecommunications tariffs. Israel said the agency “passed a very grave test” by not ejecting it from the conference, but it objected to the resolution because of the criticism it contained. The amended resolution said the agency is “alarmed by the grave situation in the Middle East, resulting from Israel’s invasion of lebanon.” It “condemns without appeal the continuing violation by Israel of the international law” and “further condemns the massacres of the Palestinian and Lebanese civilians” in west Beirut refugee camps last month. “This resolution contains false accusations against Israel. It makes factual and legal determinations which are untrue and have no legal basis. We therefore strongly object to this resolution,” Israeli chief delegate Michael Shakked said in a statement after the vote. Blind luck Poisoned Tylenol returned unopened CHICAGO (AP) - The FBI is checking for fingerprints on a newly found bottle of cyanide-tainted Extra-Strength Tylenol, while police hope to find the unknown purchaser — who may have escaped death by turning it in. Police Superintendent Richard J. Br-zeczek announced Thursday that the bottle — one among hundreds of thousands turned in by customers or swept from store shelves after seven deaths from cyanide-tainted Extra-Strength Tylenol — contained more than a dozen capsules laced with the poison. He said the 50-capsule bottle had been turned in to Dominick’s Finer Foods in Chicago, just several hundred feet from the Walgreen's drug store where one of the seven victims, Paula Prince, purchased her 24-capsule bottle. Investigators hope to identify the customer who returned the bottle, which was turned in without its usual box, said Illinois Attorney General Tyrone Fahner, who heads a task force investigating the poisonings. Dominick’s employees kept records on each individual who returned Tylenol, he said. Brzeczek said a “peculiar thing” about the newly discovered bottle was that its lot number — MC2880 — was the same as the medication taken by four victims, who lived in the suburbs. He did not elaborate on what he meant by “peculiar.” The number of tainted capsules — which Brzeczek said was “about 13” — was larger than in any other previously found bottle, he said. The bottle was sent to the FBI in Washington, where it will be subjected to “the most sophisticated” tests available in hopes of finding fingerprints that might help solve the case, he said. Fahner said “well in excess of a couple of hi'Mred thousand” bottles have been tested for cyanide by chemists, with the remainder likely to be completed by next week. Thursday’s discovery was made by a lab testing the capsules under contract to McNeil Consumer Products Co., the maker of Tylenol. McNeil officials said they had no comment on the latest discovery. It was the second discovery of a cyanide-laced bottle that was not connected with a death. On Oct. I, authorities announced they had found a tainted bottle culled from the shelves of an Osco Drug Store in suburban Schaumburg. Merchants swept Tylenol products from their shelves and turned them over for testing when Mayor Jane Byrne issued a ban Oct. 2 on all Tylenol products. Mrs. Bryne said Thursday that “the ban will continue” until it is certain that it is safe to put Tylenol products back on the shelves, according to the police superintendent. Briefly Murder victim's sister relieved at sentence FORT WORTH (AP) — A woman whose 18-year-old sister was brutally stabbed and stuffed into a closet by a former high school classmate says she is relieved the young man convicted of the murder was sentenced to prison. But Gloria Culver said she also was compelled to feel compassion for Wesley Wayne Miller, 20, who was convicted of slaying 18-year-old Retha Stratton, a former cheerleader. Miller was voted the “Best All-Around Student” at his Fort Worth high school, where he dated Miss Stratton. He was sentenced Thursday to 25 years in prison. The maximum sentence possible was life imprisonment. "I don’t hale the boy. My heart goes out to him,” Mrs. Culver said after the sentence was read by State District Judge Gordon Gray. “But he definitely needed to be taken off the streets. He’s a very dangerous individual.” A.J. Stratton, the victim’s father, said the sentence was not long enough. “He didn’t get what he deserved,” he said. "He deserved life. He took my daughter’s life. Justice wasn’t done.” State lawmaker faces cattle theft charges SULPHUR SPRINGS, Texas (AP) — State Rep. David London has been scheduled to face trial in December on cattle rustling charges, which he contends were brought about by a political vendetta aimed at crippling his career. London, a Leonard Democrat, waived his right to arraignment Thursday, but has contended he is innocent. He is accused of stealing five head of cattle from Wills Point rancher Ed Furhh on June I and then selling them at an auction here for $1,600. The freshman lawmaker, a livestock broker, lost his bid for reelection in the May primary. London said he first learned of the charges against him while listening to a radio newscast. The charge “is political,” he said last week. “It is ridiculous. Any time you get an indictment against a man in Texas politics, he can’t run again.” Harrelson payment focus of Wood trial SAN ANTONIO (AP) - Testimony in the U.S. District Judge John H. Wood Jr. murder trial has shifted to a purported $250,000 cash payoff allegedly delivered to convicted hitman Charles V. Harrelson in exchange for the judge’s slaying. Harrelson is charged with the judge’s murder. His wife, Jo Ann Starr, 41, is being tried on charges of obstructing justice, and Elizabeth Chagra is charged with conspiracy to murder and obstruct justice. Mrs. Chagra — wife of convicted narcotics trafficker Jamiel “Jimmy” Chagra — allegedly delivered the payoff money to Harrelson’s stepdaughter at a Las Vegas, Nev., club in June 1979 — less than a month after Wood was gunned down in San Antonio. Teresa Starr Jasper, 25, transported the money to the Harrelsons in Corpus Christi, Texas, the next day, prosecutors contend. Defense attorney Tom Sharpe Jr. contends the cash amounted to only $150,000 and was part of a “scam” Harrelson, 44, was carrying out to bilk Chagra on a narcotics deal. Chagra was scheduled to be tried before Wood on a narcotics charge when the judge was assassinated May 29, 1979. He will be tried separately later on murder charges. Mrs. Jasper, who spent six months behind bars last year for contempt of court before agreeing to testify before a grand jury, was waiting in the wings to testify today after crossexamination of Canadian Cindy Cote is completed. Miss Cote, who said she once worked as Mrs. Chagra’s personalReagan speeches get tough as election day approaches WASHINGTON (AP) — In the last days before the election, President Reagan is using tougher language against his political opponents and putting a sharper edge on his campaign rhetoric to defend administration policies. On a two-day campaign trip through Illinois and Nebraska that ended Thursday, Reagan accused one group of “lying in their teeth.” He said critics of his economic program were trying to “stir up more fear and anxiety” about the recession at a time when Americans were psychologically vulnerable about    the economy. And    he bluntly declared,    “I didn't cause this recession.” A White House official said Reagan’s tough talk was not calculated or part of a new strategy. “I think it’s just him,” said    the official who asked not to be quoted by name. “It doesn’t hurt, it doesn’t hurt a bit,” the official insisted. However, the official added, White House Chief of Staff James A. Baker III and Reagan pollster Richard Wir-thlin were concerned the presidents tact might polarize Democrats and hurt GOP election hopes. With the election just ll days away, Reagan has only three more days of campaigning on his schedule. He plans to travel to Raleigh, N.C., next Tuesday and make a western swing next Thursday and Friday, probably to Montana, Nevada and New Mexico. Speaking privately, the White House official said final travel plans will be made after a review of late political soundings throughout the country. The chief advantage of a Reagan visit, the official said, is that “you take away the initiative from your opponent. You dominate the news media for a week, on either side of the event. It can honestly give a campaign momentum. “With less than two weeks to go, that can be pretty important,” the official addpd. The intended beneficiaries of Reagan’s politicking this week were Nebraska Gov. Charles Thone, an early Reagan supporter in the presidential primaries, and House Republican Leader Robert H. Michel of Illinois, a key figure in pushing the president’s economic program Congress. through In Omaha on Thursday, Reagan campaigned with Thone before an enthusiastic crowd of 8,000 at a Republican rally in the civic auditorium. Reagan said his program was producing results but was “still just a toddler and just beginning.” - ★VOTE* u CHESTER PEHL COUNTY JUDGE Pol at) CXI tot tty Chytrid P(*N b?9 I nctru Hta.intf. 79’ 30 rn rn 4 im rn w * rn ► Las Vegas $325.00 per person Includes: * Round Trip Airfare *3 nights Accommodations at ‘Taxes. Tips and Gratuites a Center Strip Hotel    ‘Fully Escorted ‘Drinks on the Plane    ‘Extras ‘Transportation from Airport ‘Jan. 20 thru 23, 1983 Hotel/Airport Brenda’s Travel Center New Braunfels ^-7438 after Bim. p.m. secretary, testified Thursday she and Mrs. Chagra drove to a I .as Vegas club in June 1979 with a mysterious brown attache case. She identified an empty suede attache case presented by prosecutor Ray Jahn as the one she said she saw Mrs. Chagra carry into the club while she stayed in the car. Miss Cote testified Mrs. Chagra returned with the briefcase, but said she never learned its contents. Also Thursday, longtime Harrelson friend Gregory Goodrum, 33, linked Harrelson to what prosecutors say was the getaway car and high-powered rifle used to assassinate Wood. Goodrum said Harrelson asked him in June 1979 to go to Dallas and drive a Oldsmobile Cutlass to Houston after Harrelson said he “had used it on a job” and wanted it cleaned up and sold. Goodrum said Harrelson earlier showed him a Weatherby rifle with a scope on it and said, “Weatherbys were his favorite guns.” Only the weathered stock of a Weatherby rifle found last year near I^ake Hubbard east of Dallas has been introduced into evidence. Prosecutors contend it was part of the weapon used to kill Wood. Goodrum identified the gun stock Thursday as “similar” to the one Harrelson showed him, noting both weapons had checkered stocks and “a small white star” on the grip. Mrs. Harrelson was convicted in Dallas last December (rn federal charges she used a fictitious name to buy a .243-caliber Weatherby deer rifle. Sizzling chicken-fried meat strips, golden fries, Texas toast and creamy country gravy. Come ’n get it at a special sale price! This Monday Oct. 18 thru Sunday Oct. 24 Only at participating stores. We treat you likeaTexanJ Dairy Queen Copyright m? Tot 0 0 Op Council AN Rights Rotorvod <l> TU IroMmtrks of tho To* 0 Q Op Council •« RogtstoroO liaoomoit Mi 0 0 Corp ;

RealCheck