Aiken Standard, August 28, 1989

Aiken Standard

August 28, 1989

View full page Start A Free Trial!

Issue date: Monday, August 28, 1989

Pages available: 20

Previous edition: Sunday, August 27, 1989

Next edition: Tuesday, August 29, 1989

NewspaperARCHIVE.com - Used by the World's Finest Libraries and Institutions
About Aiken StandardAbout NewspaperArchive.com

Publication name: Aiken Standard

Location: Aiken, South Carolina

Pages available: 440,076

Years available: 1924 - 2014

Learn more about this publication
  • 2.04+ billion articles and growing everyday!
  • More than 400 years of papers. From 1607 to today!
  • Articles covering 50 U.S.States + 22 other countries
  • Powerful, time saving search features!
Start your membership to the world's largest newspaper archive now!
Start your genealogy search now!
See with your own eyes the newspapers your great-great grandparents held.

View sample pages : Aiken Standard, August 28, 1989

All text in the Aiken Standard August 28, 1989, Page 1.

Aiken Standard (Newspaper) - August 28, 1989, Aiken, South Carolina Sports Perry Wins At Orville White Page 7 A A Quick Read Solar-Powered Car Only A Few Years Off CAMBRIDGE, Mass. (AP) — Skeptics say solar-powered cars still aren’t feasible. But James Worden commutes to work every day in a solar car he built himself. The car is a 350-pound, silver three-wheeler covered with solar panels that suggests a cross between a golf cart and a Honda Civic. It holds two people, can reach 35 mph, and for four years has taken him on his regular 13-mile commute. Worden keeps it parked in a sunny spot outside his lab at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology. In a month or two, the 22-year-old entrepreneur expects to produce a four-wheel prototype that will look more like a more traditional automobile. “We hope to be making a car a day in two years,” said Worden, who was a high school student when he built his first solar car and had yet to graduate from MIT when he founded his company, Solelectron Corp. Britian's Oldest House Identified I-ONDON (AP) — A two-story house east of London has been identified as Britain’s oldest inhabited residence and the only domestic building surviving from before the Norman conquest of 1066. It has been in continuous use for 1,000 years and is still lived in. Dr. Nicola Smith of the Historic Buildings and Monuments Commission, writing in the weekly Country life magazine, said the 40-foot-long house called Prior’s Hall at Widding-ton had previously been dated from the 13th century. But the discovery of Saxon stonework under the plaster showed it was probably built in the 10th century, she said. The building may originally have been a church or chapel, Dr. Stone said. The Saxons came from Germany and dominated Britain in the 600 years before the Norman conquest, when they were known as Anglo- Saxons. Some of their churches and farm buildings have survived. Weather Storms Possible Partly cloudy skies are forecast tonight with a 20 percent chance of thunderstorms. The low will be in the 70s. Partly cloudy skies are forecast Tuesday with a 30 percent chance of afternoon thunderstorms. The high will be in the mid 90s. Please see details on Page 10A. Deaths Harrison Goodwin, Aiken John L. Hixon, North Augusta Lillian O Redd, Bath Please see details on Page 6A Inside Today Bridge  .............................................6B Calendar...........................................2B Classifieds........................................4B Comics.............................................3B Crossword........................................7B Cryptoquote......................................5B Dear Abby.........................................3B Lewis Grizzard..................................5A Local Front.......................................1B Obituaries.........................................6A Opinions...........................................4A Sports,..............................................7    A Television.........................................3B Weather................  10A Page 2Amw cgjjwnr muc Student Arrested In Chinese Protest Page IB Waste Treatment Begins In November Mien Monday, August 28, 1989 Cool Goose Aiken, South Carolina Vol. 122 No. 208 Israel Denies Raids On Lebanon Bases By The Associated Press BEIRUT, lebanon - Police and the Israeli army denied radio reports that Israeli warplanes today blasted Shiite Mos-lem guerrilla bases in a new air raid on east Lebanon. The Voice of Lebanon, the most popular Christian radio station in east Beirut, and Voice of the Nation, the main broadcast for the Moslem sector, were among those to report a raid on lebanon’s Bekaa valley, the second in less that 24 hours. “There hasn’t been any air raid today,” said a police spokesman, who cannot be named under standing regulations. The spokesman said supersonic jets broke the sound barrier in reconnaissance runs over the village of Janta and the ancient city of Baalbek, drawing heavy anti-aircraft fire from Hezbollah’s posistions. The sonic booms apparently prompted speculation that the Israelis bombed Janta, 43 miles southeast of Beirut. An Israeli army spokeswoman, who could not be identified under standing military rules, also said there was no raid today. She described the report as “disinformation.” A Hezbollah statement today said nine people were killed and 27 wounded in the Israeli air attack Sunday on a party base in south Lebanon’s village of Ain Abu-Suar. The statement said the victims included 15 students wounded when their school was hit in the attack. Police had put Sunday’s casualty toll at only three guerrillas killed and nine wounded. Ain Abu-Suar is 40 miles southeast of Beirut near the northern edge of Israel’s self-designated “security zone” in south Lebanon. Sunday’s attack was Israel’s ninth on Lebanon this year. It apparently was in retaliation for an Aug. 9 suicide car bomb attack by a Hezbollah activist in the security zone. (Please See ISRAEL, Page 10A) Bombs Blow Up 10 Banks; Colombia Tightens Patrols *’• si* Staff Photo By Ginny Southworth TIME FOR A DIP: Everybody is feeling the heat of the last several days, including this goose, shown cooling off at Langley Pond. By The Associated Press BOGOTA, Colombia — Ten banks were blown up by bombs in the cocaine manufacturing center of Medellin, and local reports said the justice minister who was leading a crackdown on drug lords has fled to the United States in fear of her life. News reports also said Sunday that an appeals court revoked an arrest order accusing a top drug kingpin of ordering two assassinations. The bombs that went off throughout Colombia's second-largest city early Sun day caused extensive damage to seven branches of the government-owned Banco Cafetero and three branches of the private Banco de Colombia and Banco del Estado, authorities said. A police spokesman said a young man was killed, apparently while planting one of the bombs. Police refused to say which organization was responsible for the bombings. Other attacks in recent months were conducted by leftist guerrillas that sometimes cooperate with drug traffickers. (Please See BOMBS, Page 10A) DHEC Is Seeking $2 Million For Environment Monitoring At SRS From Wire Reports South Carolina could buy more equipment and double the manpower it uses for monitoring the environment around the Savannah River Site if the Department of Energy would give it $2 million, a top state health official says. Lewis Shaw, deputy commissioner for environmental quality control at the state Department of Health and Environmental Control, said he hopes the DOE will come up with the funds. Deputy Energy Secretary Henson Moore said last week the DOE would negotiate with ll governors over environ mental monitoring at DOE weapons plants within their borders. The SRS is the nation’s only producer of tritium, a gas used to boost the power of nuclear warheads. The site’s three reactors near Aiken are currently idle. Energy Secretary James Watkins has said he hopes to have them restarted by next year. Moore said DOE hoped to work out agreements with the ll states similar to an agreement signed in June by Watkins and Colorado Gov. Roy Romer. The (Please See DHEC, Page 10A) First Commercial Satellite In Orbit After Successful Private Launching By The Associated Press CAPE CANAVERAL, Fla. - A communications satellite is orbiting Earth after being propelled by a privately owned rocket in a launch that opens a new era in the space age. The 2,700-pound Marcopolo I satellite was drilled into space Sunday by a three-stage Delta rocket that performed flawlessly during a 27-minute climb into orbit. The launching was the first in which a privately owned rocket sent a payload into orbit. Consort I, the nation’s first licensed commercial spacecraft, re leased a payload on a suborbital voyage in March. Delta 187 has placed the British Satellite Broadcasting satellite in orbit; we wish the spacecraft folks good luck,” reported Ray Adams of McDonnell Douglas, which made the $30 million Delta. The satellite was sent into an elliptical orbit ranging from about IOO to 22,300 miles high. On Tuesday, ground controllers are to send a signal to fire an onboard motor to place it in a stationary orbit 22,300 miles (Please See FIRST, Page 10A) Many Fear Global War Within Next 2 Decades Pi III ic O pinion Media General - AP Poll By The Associated Press NEW YORK — Fifty years after World War II erupted, half of all Americans believe global war will consume the world again one day, a Media General-Associated Press poll has found. A majority of those who expect another world war believe it will happen within two decades, the survey found. And if it does recur, most Americans fear it will escalate into an all-out nuclear conflagration. A majority of respondents to the poll also said one of World War II’s darkest episodes could recur: A holocaust on the order of Nazi Germany’s murder of more than 6 million Jews. The 1,163 respondents were asked: “Do you think that kind of thing could happen again — that is, the killing of millions of people because of their religion or ethnic background?" Six in IO said it could. More than a million German soldiers invaded Poland on Sept. I, 1939, prodding France and Britain to declare war on Germany a few days later. World War II lasted until 1945, claiming the lives of an estimated 50 million people. The United States joined the war in 1941 after the Japanese attacked the U.S. Pacific Fleet at Pearl Harbor, Ha- A majority said a holocaust on the order of Nazi Germany’s murder of more than 6 million Jews could recur. waii. Four years later, the U.S. Air Force hastened Japan’s surrender by dropping atomic bombs on Hiroshima and Nagasaki — still the only time nuclear weapons have been used in war. Six in IO poll respondents said the Hiroshima bombing, in which up to 200,000 people died, was right. Seventy percent of the men in the survey supported the bombing; half the women agreed. Two in IO respondents said they sometimes think of Japan as the enemy because of the war. And with Japan now one of the world’s leading economic powers, nearly four in IO said the United States did too much to help rebuild Japan after the war. A smaller group, 24 percent, said the United States did too much to help rebuild West Germany, which also is one (Please See MANY FEAR, Page 10A) WORLD WAR ll Don’t know/no answer Another world war will happen It would escalate to all-out nuclear war 54% Mass genocide could happen again 60% 49% 43% 3‘3% 4% Based on survey of 1,163 people July 7-16. The poll has a three-point margin of error. Numbers may not add to IOO due to rounding. AP/T. Dean Caple ;

RealCheck