Questions? Call (888) 845-2887 Hablamos Español

Titusville Herald  Newspaper Archive: July 19, 1993 - Page 1

Share Page

Publication: Titusville Herald

Location: Titusville, Pennsylvania

Issue Date:

Get 1 more page view just for clicking

to like us on Facebook


   Titusville Herald  (Newspaper) - July 19, 1993, Titusville, Pennsylvania                                Established June 14 1865 Oldest Daily Newspaper in Northwestern Pennsvlrania Mostly Cloudy MondayMostly cloudy with a 70 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms High near 80 Wind 10 to 20 miles per hour Monday nightPartly cloudy with a 30 percent chance of evening show ers and thunderstorms TITUSVILLE PA MONDAY MORNING JULY 19 1993 35 CENTS Road Corridor On Line Here Titusville ToMeadville Options Face PennDOT by JOHN YATES Herald Editor BIRTHDAY CELEBRATION helped the Oil Creek an s their seventh birthday Sunday Pictured is one of t Granger attd Joyce Mice oftlw County Tourist Association and member of the Railroads boaitf of directors Herald photo fcy tyndt Strong Into 7th Year V Herald Staff Writer Swdiys roundtrip nm from Itorf to puck was another succew for the Oil Grtek tnd According to Betty Squire board number approximately 350 people took the oniwi trip BbtMay CaJca the seventh birthday feowd memtxsw who the excursion on day were Cj tisi Kwwtl Marie Marge Moag Feiree John general The QCfcT Awarded doorjprizw on both legs of JC Wiwtew on Urn Rynd ttit wew UMtftftolir ixtal of North JaEkwn Best erf Those who rweivffli Clarence Perry Street Stations at f pm tfeis month July 2 wid 28 Murder on the The Pennsylvania Transportation Commission is expected to approve funding this month for the first step in developing a fastclass high way from Titusville to Meadville The HereM has learned Crawford County Planning Direc tor Ed Edinger said the Pennsylvania Department of Transporation has recommended an study of the Underage Drinking Proposal On Deck by TOM BOYLE Herald Staff Writer A proposed ordinance which will come before Titusville City Council at its July 26th meeting will make it easier for law enforcement officials to clamp down on teenage drinking The ordinance was first discussed several weeks ago at a meeting of the Titusville Leisure Services Board It was brought before City Council last week but tabled However City Soli dtpr Robert Felton told The Herald yesterday that the proposed ordi nance Council Bill 13 will appear again before council with minor revisions A couple of things have been deleted from the original wording said Felton but although it has been streamlined the ordinance is essen tially the same The law can be applied citywide including at TycToc The city currently has an underage drinking ordinance on the books according to Felton but this new law closes a loophole Under the current law it must be proven where the underage drinking occurred for a successful prosecution In the prop osal before council this month the prosecution does not have to prove where the drinking occurred Felton See Drinking page two Health Hearings Begin HARRISBURG AP A state Senate committee begins hearings this week on Gov Robert P Caseys health care reform plan The Senate Public Health and Welfare Committee meets twice in Philadelphia and once in Harrisburg this week and plans more hearings later in western Pennsylvania Were talking about performing radical surgery on our states entire health care system with farreaching consequences for every Pennsylva nian said the committee chairman Hardy Williams DPhiladelphia Williams agreed to introduce Caseys package Under the plan insurers would be required to set up managed care networks of physicians and hospi tals to provide a basic health care package Included would be hospital care prescription drugs dental and wellchild care immunizations physician visits and preventive examinations The plan would guarantee cover age to the estimated 1 million people in the state without health insurance The networks would compete against each other for business Pennsylvania businesses would pay 90 percent of the lowest premium offered by the networks Workers would pay the other 10 percent and possibly more if they want more coverages Last week Williams said Mondays hearing will focus on the managed care aspect of the plan Primary care physicians will act as gatekeepers in determining whether patients are referred to specialists or need certain diagnostic tests OLIVER orphans were busy prac ticing their dances for the opening night of Oliver set for Thursday at 8 pm in Colestock Auditorium Pictured are front 1r Daniel Shanahan Laura Clark second row Camille Shanahan and Rebecca Clark back Scott Nash Kelly EHxon Jessica Leach and Katie Barker Tickets are available from the Chamber of Commerce and at the door For story and more photos see Page 11 of todays Herald Herald photo by Lynda Lytle major options of upgrading either Route 27 or Route 408 to firstclass standards However Edinger said the plan would not address traffic snarls through the City of Titusville Edinger caid the study which may include an environmental impact statement and detailed engineering work would take about a year to complete The result he said would be to give the proposed project an official ranking on PennDOTs 12year master plan for highway improvements Rankings determine a projects priority in comparison with compet ing proposals What is a firstclass highway According to Edinger it must have State highway rightsofway between 60 feet and 80 feet wide Hard pavement at least 24 feet wide Two lanes each at least 12 feet wide Ninefootwide paved shoulders A smooth area of transition between the paved shoulders and the surrounding area Edinger said the current highways fall far short of firstclass standards Most rightofways now are about 50 feet wide with a few in the 60foot range he said That means the state would take the extra rightofways by condem nation if landowners did not agree to a sale Edinger said Either of the two routes come awfully close to houses and we would have to move or buy themYou might have to take some houses Ed Edinger Good drainage And few tight curves or steep hills For either Route 27 or Route 408 Edinger said it would take a lot of work to make it into a firstclass highway Ether of the two routes come awfully close to houses and we would have to move or buy them Edinger said If you had to straight en out some curves you might have to take some houses see ROAD page two More Homes in Danger Flood Breaks Levee Rains Fall by MIKE MOKRZYCKI Associated Press Writer A levee collapsed Sunday in St Louis threatening to submerge hundreds of homes under as much as 10 feet of water and people in Wisconsin had to be rescued from rooftops as the Midwests flood siege persisted mercilessly New storms cut a swath through six states and menaced four others Des Moines Iowa suffered a setback in its effort to restore running water to 250000 people in their eighth day with dry taps A pump failure meant that service wouldnt be restored before Wednesday two days later than the most recent estimate Among many cities and towns where volunteers heaved sand bags was Halstead Kan 25 miles northwest of Wichita Heavy overnight rains threatened to push the Little Arkansas River over its banks for the second time in a week Everybodys almost in a daze Theres not been much sleep this whole last week and here we go again said Chuck Bennett police chief in the town of 2000 The toll in lives and property continued to rise from more than a month and a half of flooding at least 28 deaths at least billion in damage 16000 square miles of farmland flooded and more than 24000 homes damaged Water supply contaminated MISS TOWNVILLE DANIELLE HOBAN For more photos of Old Home Days see page two Signs Committee Updates Council Work Session In Doubt Tonight by LYNDA LYTLE Herald Staff Writer This evening was to be a work session for Titusville City Council but late Sunday evening it could not be determined if one would be held Mayor Robert Rhoades is out of town for the next couple of weeks and the City Manager was not in her office on Friday Among the items that may be updated this evening could be the mapping of the water works and airport by Chester Engineers The city had requested this addi tional work and had contacted the engineers but as of the July 12th council meeting the engineers had not gotten back to the city Other items that were discussed at last Mondays council meeting that may receive some attention tonight are Title Transfer The deeding of the land known as ORourke Hold to the City of Titusville The owner had contacted the city several months ago and made known her intention of deeding the land to the city provided it remain a recrea tional area and that the name remain ORourke City Manager Carolyne Ford informed council that a letter had been drafted and sent to the family indicating that the city was interested in obtaining the land and abiding by the daughters stipulations Historic Marker Those involved with seeking to place a historical marker at the Union Street Bridge over Church Run marking the spot of Titusvilles own Titusvillia drakei Caster fossil have been working closely with PennDOT to achieve an acceptable post to hold the sign which will approximately read A large fossil sponge was found in ancient seabot tom rocks at this Church Run locality Pleontologist Kenneth E Caster named this rare species in 1939 for Titusville and the founder of the Pennsylvania oil industry Without this giant industry the sciences of geology and paleontology could not have reached the eminence they hold today Inquiry was made into the progress by Councilman Fred Zdarko who asked how the sponge sign was coming Paving Drive PennDOT has approved the placement of a 15inch   

From 1607 To The Present

Once upon a time newspapers were our main source of information. Now those old newspapers are a reliable source for hundreds of years of history and secrets of the past. Now you can search for people, places, and events without the hassle of sorting through mountains of papers!

Growing Every Second

Newspaper Archive is the world's largest online newspaper database featuring over 130 million newspaper pages. Plus our database expands by one newspaper page per second for a total of around 2.5 million pages per month! The value of your membership grows along with it.

Genealogy Made Simple

Those looking to find out more about their forefathers can empower their genealogy search with Newspaper Archive. Within our massive database, users can search ancestors' names for news stories and obituaries. We must understand our past to understand our future!

Choose the Membership Plan that is right for you!

Unlimited 6 Month

$99.95 (45% Savings!)

Unlimited page views for 6 months Learn More

Unlimited Monthly

$29.95

Unlimited page views for 1 month Learn More

Introductory

$9.95

25 page views for 1 month Learn More

Subscribe or Cancel Anytime by calling 888-845-2887

24 hours a day Monday-Saturday

Take advantage of our Introductory Membership offer and become a member for 1 month only for $9.95!

Your full introductory membership payment will be credited toward the cost of full membership any time you choose to upgrade!

Your Membership Includes:
  • 25 page views for 1 month
  • Access to Over 130 million Newspaper Pages
  • Ability to View, Save, and Print
  • Articles featuring over 100 million people
  • Weekly Search Alerts - We search for you!
  • & Many More Features!
Subscribe for a Monthly Membership only for $29.95
Your Membership Includes:
  • Unlimited Page Views
  • Access to Over 130 million Newspaper Pages
  • Ability to View, Save, and Print
  • Articles featuring over 100 million people
  • Full Access To All Content including 10 Foreign Countries
  • Weekly Search Alerts - We search for you!
  • & Many More Features!
Subscribe for a 6 Month Membership only for $99.95
Best Value! Save -45%
Your Membership Includes:
  • Unlimited Page Views
  • Access to Over 130 million Newspaper Pages
  • Ability to View, Save, and Print
  • Articles featuring over 100 million people
  • Full Access To All Content including 10 Foreign Countries
  • Weekly Search Alerts - We search for you!
  • & Many More Features!

What our Customers Say:

"It is amazing how easy and exciting it is to access all of this information! I found hundreds of articles about my relatives from Germany! Well worth the subscription!" - Michael S.

"I love this site. It's interesting to read articles about different family members. I've found articles as well as an obituary about an uncle who passed away before I was born, and another about a great aunt. It's great for helping with genealogy." - Patricia T.

"A great research tool. Allows me to view events and gives me incredible insight into the stories of the past." - Charles S.

Search Billions of Newspaper Articles 130 Million+ Pages and More Added Weekly!

Uncover 400+ Years
of Newspaper Archives
(1607 to today!)

Browse by Date

Research Newspaper Articles from 11 Countries
& all 50 U.S. States

Browse by Location

Explore 6,200+ Current &
Historical Newspaper Titles
and Counting!

Browse by Publication