"Deming, located in southwestern New Mexico, grew out of railway development. The terminus of the Southern Pacific Railroad, it was named after the wife of a railway executive. City founders expected such immense growth after the arrival of the railroad that the town was nicknamed New Chicago. The Silver Spike was driven in Deming in 1881 to commemorate the completion of the second transcontinental railroad with the meeting of the Southern Pacific and the Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe. Journalistic competition quickly followed. The Deming Graphic commenced weekly publication on March 18, 1903, and continued through January 1, 1949, when it merged with the Deming Headlight. It was then published on Tuesdays as the the Deming Headlight and Deming Graphic and on Fridays as the Headlight and the Deming Graphic until April 10, 1956, when the two papers returned to separate titles. The Deming Graphic was printed almost exclusively in English despite the fact that the town was only about 45 miles north of the border with Mexico. By the end of the 19th century, the Deming Headlight had become a leading territorial Democratic paper under the editorship of former Governor Edmund Gibson Ross, and later, William B. Walton. A weekly Republican challenger, the Deming Herald, began publication in 1900 as life-long Democrat P.J. Bennett changed his politics to compete with the Headlight. Bennett's efforts did not succeed, and the Herald was replaced by the weekly Deming Graphic in 1903. The first issue, published March 18, 1903, declared, ""the Graphic is now fairly launched upon the community to gain friends or enemies, as the case may be, and its virtues, if it has any, may merit. We will not attempt to make any statement of what lines the paper will be conducted on, as good resolutions and promises are easily made and soon forgotten."" Readers could expect to find local, state, national, and international news in the Republican newspaper. The January 7, 1919 issue proudly proclaimed the Deming Graphic, the ""official state paper of Luna County."" The editors often printed large opinionated quotes on the masthead that changed every day."