Ukiah Daily Journal, September 22, 1980

Ukiah Daily Journal

September 22, 1980

View full page Start A Free Trial!

Issue date: Monday, September 22, 1980

Pages available: 28 - Used by the World's Finest Libraries and Institutions
About Ukiah Daily JournalAbout

Publication name: Ukiah Daily Journal

Location: Ukiah, California

Pages available: 327,144

Years available: 1954 - 2014

Learn more about this publication
  • 2.18+ billion articles and growing everyday!
  • More than 400 years of papers. From 1607 to today!
  • Articles covering 50 U.S.States + 22 other countries
  • Powerful, time saving search features!
Start your membership to the world's largest newspaper archive now!
Start your genealogy search now!
See with your own eyes the newspapers your great-great grandparents held.

View sample pages : Ukiah Daily Journal, September 22, 1980

All text in the Ukiah Daily Journal September 22, 1980, Page 1.

Ukiah Daily Journal (Newspaper) - September 22, 1980, Ukiah, California Monday, September 22, 1980 120 th Year No. 133 468-0123 4 Ukiah Dailn * Journal Ukiah, Mendocino County, California Weather By United Press International Northwestern California: Fair and warm through Tuesday. Fort Bragg 66, 50 and 65, Ukiah 85, 48 and 87. 1 Section 25 Cents Iran, Iraq at war; Tehran airport bombed By United Press International Iraq said its warplanes bombed Tehran's Mehrabad airport and eight other Iranian air bases today. Iran said it retaliated by striking two air fields in Iraq and threatening to sink any merchant ships heading to Iraqi ports. The Iraqi attacks came just as Baghdad announced it intended to launch "deterrent strikes" against its neighboring oil power. The attack on Tehran, 290 miles east of the border, was the deepest thrust by Iraqi forces in the intensifying but as yet undeclared war. Iran's armed forces were placed on full alert and President Abolhassan Bani-Sadr in an announcement broadcast by Tehran Radio said Iranian warplanes successfully attacked two Iraqi air bases this evening. Tehran's military command announced that because of the fighting "all waterways near the Iranian shores are declared war zones. Iran will not allow any merchant ship to carry cargo to Iraqi ports." In his speech Bani-Sadr gave detailed accounts of losses on both sides. He said Iraqi losses included 17 Soviet-made MiG fighter planes, 6 helicopters, 21 tanks and a number of naval vessels. Iran's forces lost three planes, a helicopter, 11 tanks and three ships, Bani-Sadr said, adding that 22 Iranian soldiers had been captured. He said Iraqi President Saddam Hussein "today tried to imitate (former Israeli general) Moshe Dayan and attack our airports, thinking that his planes could hit our airports and cripple our air force." "The result was that they lost many planes and he was not able to do the least damage to our bases," Bani-Sadr said. In a communique carried by the Iraqi news agency, the Iraqi air command said its planes in coordinated raids at noon (2 a.m. PDT) attacked Tehran's Mehrabad Airport as well as air bases at Shiraz, Bushehr, Dezful, Sharoukhi, Katami, Tabriz, Omid and A,hvaz. The timing of the raids coincided with an announcement in Baghdad that Iraqi President Saddam Hussein ordered his nation's forces to stage "deterrent strikes against Iranian military targets to foil conspiracies of the Farsi (Iranian) regime." Iraq said one of its planes was lost during the raids. A spokesman for the Iraqi Embassy in Ankara, Turkey, said any reports that Iraq has formally declared war on its eastern neighbor were false. Iran's military command, saying it feared additional air attacks, broadcast a communique ordering a total blackout at night, Without mentioning the air strikes, Tehran Radio monitored by UPI in Ankara said the state-run Iran Air suspended all operations indefinitely and flights to western cities were diverted inland. Western diplomatic sources said "five or six" Soviet-built MiGs struck Tehran's Mehrabad Airport but caused "only material damage." A Turkish radio report said an Ira- nian Air Force Boeing 747 jumbo jet caught fire during the Iraqi attack on the Tehran airport. The airport is well removed from the occupied U.S. Embassy, where most of the 52 American hostages, who spent their 324th day in captivity, are still believed to be held. Tehran Radio broadcast martial music through the day and called on listeners to "rise to do battle with the bloody Baathists (Iraq)." It also warned Iranians to beware of rumors spread by "the enemy's fifth column." Other battle reports from Baghdad and Tehran said Iraqi artillery pounded the area around the Iran's major oil refinery in Abadan and Iranian gunners fired on four foreirin the strategic Shatt AlArab waterway. A military communique broadcast by Tehran Radio said Iraqi artillery fire Sunday hit oil reservoir 512 in Abadan, site of the world's largest refinery, setting a fire that was put out. Iran said two of its forces' small launches were sunk by Iraqi shelling and an Iranian helicopter crashed after hitting a high-voltage line, killing both crewmen. Two Iraqi posts were destroyed by Iranian counter-fire, Tehran Radio said. The Iraqi news agency said Iranian gunners fired today on four foreign ships in the disputed Shatt Al-Arab waterway at the head of the Persian Gulf. The vessels were identified as the Camilla and Silver Crane, both Japanese; the Adams, of Greek registry, and Yong Taman, flying the Liberian flag. The agency said a crewman from the Camilla was injured. Several military boats were reported sunk. The growing threat of total war with Iraq overshadowed the hostage crisis and the fate of the 52 Americans. The naval and artillery clashes were centered on the 100-mile-long Shatt AlArab waterway at the head of the Persian Gulf, on Iran's western frontier with Iraq. Iraq is the world's second largest oil producer and the waterway is its only outlet to the sea. As such, it serves as a vital supply route for its oil exports to the West. The volatile situation has spurred diplomatic moves to stem the fighting, including a reported attempt by PLO Chairman Yasser Arafat, who maintains close ties with Tehran and Baghdad. Arafat sent a message Sunday to Iraq's President Saddam Hussein. The contents were not disclosed but it was believed to be an offer to mediate between the two oil powers. Trouble flared last week after Baghdad abrogated the 1975 treaty whereby the waterway was under the joint control of Iraq and Iran and said it was renewing its jurisdiction over the waterway. All ships using the waterway must in future fly the Iraqi flag and obey Iraqi instructions, Baghdad said. Reports Sunday indicated fighting had spread to the Iranian port of Khoramshahr at the head of the waterway and to Abadan airport, which has been closed. Muskie proposes formula for hostages7 release By United Press International Secretary of State Edmund Muskie said today Washington will agree to participate in an intematational forum to air Iran's grievances against the United States once the release of 52 American hostages is "assured." The United States has said in the past that it was prepared to cooperate in such a forum but it was first time it had laid out any specific conditions. In Tehran, Iran, the state radio reported a group of deputies from Iran's Parliament visited the occupied U.S. Embassy today as a prelude to the assembly's debate on the fate of the hostages, now in their 324th day of captivity. Speaking the U.N. General Assembly, Muskie said, "We are prepared to do our part in resolving fairly the issues between us. "When the safe return of all the hostages to their families is assured, we are prepared to deal on a basis of mutual respect and equality with all the outstanding issues and misunderstadings between Iran and the United States and to reach understandings on the principles which govern our relationships.'' Iranian officials have demanded an apology from the United States for its past actions in Iran as well as the return of the late shah's wealth as conditions for the hostages' freedom. Tehran Radio said deputies who toured the U.S. Embassy in Tehran at the request of the occupying Islamic militants "observed from close quarters U.S. espionage equipment.'' The hostages reportedly have been moved from the compound to other places of detention to prevent another rescue attempt. Iran's Parliament has been ordered by Ayatollah Ruhollah Khomeini to decide the fate of thehostages and most of the deputies have said they favored spy trials for the Americans. In its first action on the crisis, the Parliament last week voted to form a special commission to study the issue in preparation for the debate, but since then Iranian concern has shifted from the hostage crisis to the intensifying border war with Iraq. Chide Carter.. Governor will tour area Phvui by knUi, Mmad; Mendocino County deputy sheriff kneels beside part of loot and arms seized in raid. Containers are filled with silver dollars. An automatic rifle rests on top of money. Six charged with looting Perlow en� s home By EVELYN SIMPSON Journal Staff Writer Six Ukiah men have been arrested and charged with looting the Robinson Creek Road home of a man taken into custody last week as the alleged leader of a nationwide drug distribution ring. David Wilson, Joseph Gregory, David Williams, Charles Summers, David Graybeal and Robert Dean, all of Ukiah were booked on charges of burglary and receiving stolen property. The suspects include some carpenters who had been working on the house which is under construction for Bruce Perlowen, 29, alias Steve Travis. Perlowen is wanted in Florida for allegedly smuggling millions of dollars of marijuana into this country from Col umbia and for kidnapping his own son He was arrested at the Ukiah airport Thursday evening by sheriff's deputies and federal officers. The officers found $250,000 in what they believe is "laundered" drug money-mostly silver dollars-under the partially constructed house on Robin son Creek Road, three and a half miles from Boonville Road. Also seized was Perlowen's private airplane, firearms, 3,000 rounds of live ammunition, rubber boats, skin diving equipment, counterfeit and forged iden-tity papers and several pounds of marijuana and hashish. Perlowen, known in Ukiah as Steve Travis, has lived here for about two years, after dropping out of sight in Florida where he was under indictment by a federal grand jury on drug charges He was also wanted in Florida for abducting his seven-year-old son during divorce and custody procedings there. An acquaintance of the six Ukiah men who were arrested for looting Perlowen's house said they were workmen employed in building the house who were afraid they were going to "lose their shirts" when they heard Perlowen had been arrested Some of them went to the house just to retrieve some of the unused materials, the acquaintance said. Warhead removed safely from missile site By ELLEN DEBENPORT DAMASCUS, Ark. (UPI) - A flatbed truck today hauled away the nine-megaton nuclear warhead that was flung 200 yards from a Titan II missile that exploded Friday, killing one airman and injuring 21 others. The eight-vehicle convoy, including the flatbed truck carrying two lead containers marked "Do Not Drop," arrived safely about Vn hours later at Little Rock Air Force Base, about 60 miles from the site. One Air Force official at the scene was asked if the convoy contained the warhead, but he just smiled and gave a thumbs-up sign. Unidentified Pentagon sources said the truck was indeed removing the warhead, which suffered no damage except a slight dent. The Air Force will never officially confirm or deny the presence of a warhead. Three state police vehicles helped escort the convoy down U.S. 65 to Interstate 40 to North Little Rock and then on U.S. 67 to the Air Force Base and a helicopter flew overhead. "What it is, we don't know," said state police dispatcher Argie Kendall. "Anyone would think it had to be the warhead, but we don't know that." Maj. Ed Meunherz at the Little Rock Air Force Base repeated the Air Force position that it would "neither confirm or deny the location of nuclear weapons." Kendall said the Air Force had asked for an escort about 30 minutes before the truck left the missile site, failing to give the four hours' notice that had been requested by Public Safety Director Sam Tatom No one was evacuated, he said. A spokesman for Gov Bill Clinton said he would send Tatom to inspect the site today, and military officials have agreed to open the site to reporters after that. The spokesman said Clinton also would meet with Air Force officials in a closed session at the Capitol in Little Rock Ed Klaunch, an operations officer with the Arkansas Office of Emergency Reagan, Anderson clash in debate By DEAN REYNOLDS BALTIMORE (UPI) - Ronald Reagan and John Anderson agree on two points: both oppose a peacetime draft and disapprove of Jimmy RONALD REAGAN Carter's refusal to join them in the first debate of the 1980 presidential campaign. Carter sat home like millions of other Americans Sunday night and watched Reagan, the Republican candidate, and Anderson, who declared as an independent candidate after losing the GOP nomination, attack him a little and each other a lot. The hour-long meeting, designed by the' League of Women Voters as a three-way confrontation between the major party candidates and the leading independent, became a two-man show when the president insisted on a debate with Reagan alone before he met other candidates. Both men chlded Carter for refusing to take part and took random snipes at the president in responding to questions from a panel of journalists. But they quickly got down to Jabs at each other, with Reagan accusing Anderson at one point of making up statistics and Anderson declaring that Reagan had a "total misunderstanding" of the energy situation. After the show at the Baltimore Convention Center, televised by CBS, NBC and public stations while ABC ran a movie, Reagan said, "I felt good and everything seemed to go fine," but said he couldn't say who won: "That's like asking an actor on opening night to criticize the play." Anderson said, "It felt pretty good overall," but also would not try to declare a winner: "I will leave that to the judgment of the great viewing audience." Carter, who returned to the White House from a fishing trip and a campaign appearance in time to to watch the session, Issued no immediate comment. But his aides repeated his wish to go one-on-one with Reagan^/ When the candidates were asked \ow they would improve the military manpower situation and both agreed that better pay and benefits were needed and a draft was not, Reagan took the initiative to point out "It's a shame there are only two of us debating because we are more in agreement than disagreement. The only one who would disagree with us is the president '' But that was just about the only area Reagan and Anderson agreed, and neither directly answered part of the question that asked if they would call for a draft if the all-volunteer effort failed. Afterwards, Reagan said he would re-institute a draft if the nation were, periled by war. They clashed directly on the economy, tax cutting, military spending, energy, aid to cities, abortion and the influence of churches on government. Anderson opposed any tax cuts until inflation is under control and called for sharp cuts in federal spending. Reagan stuck with his proposal for a three-year, 30 percent tax cut, which he said would (Continued on Page 2) JOHN ANDERSON Services, was the only state official to admit that the Air Force has confirmed the existence of the warhead. Other state officials, Including Tatom, said they have been kept In the dark. Klaunch said he watched inspectors with geiger counters test the warhead for radiation after the explosion, but the needles on the instruments did not register any radioactivity. Although of-(Continuea onP&gcr?) from the desk By Jim Garner President Carter chose to sit out the Sunday night "debate" in Baltimore. He didn't miss much. Why they choose to call these shindigs a "debate" is questionable. In reality, the Sunday night offering was a sanitized press conference. Sanitized because the five or six reporters behaved. Each waited his or her turn, asked a' semi-stupid question and then remained quiet while others took their turn. Viewers saw or heard nothing from Reagan and Anderson they hadn't heard or seen before. Each question seemingly had 15 parts; thus the candidates never had time to dwell on any specific subject. Yes, both Reagan and Anderson advocate reduced federal spending. How? Well, we'll have to wait until one Is elected. Yes, both agree the U.S. must maintain its strong military posture. Reagan perhaps wants it stronger than Anderson does. And, of course, part of that involves paying our career military personnel a whale of a lot more than they are now making. Which has been a problem for about 25 years but nothing has been done. On and on went the discussion with nothing new nor startling being offered. Mayhaps the bright boys at COS and NBC (ABC chose to ignore the debate) can come up with a more sensible format for ensuing debates. Why not focus on a single Issue such as the economy, our military status, how to curb inflation, unemployment... Anything to get the candidates nailed down on the issues instead of forcing them to ramble on and on. about questions that a sixth grader couldhavea^ednioreliiWllgffatty, Reagan probably gained a few points. Anderson did Ukewiae. Carter undoubtedly^ yfltable. I ;