Get 1 more page view just for clicking
to like us on Facebook
Marysville Yuba Sutter Appeal Democrat (Newspaper) - September 17, 1985, Marysville Yuba, California Tuesday ) Garbo Cinema's cloistered star celebrates 80th /Lifestyles CI Smoking losses top $65 billion /News C4 Americans comfortable with computers /News A3 Kids today shunning fitness for television /Family C2 4 YUBA-SUTTER Vol. 115-No. 49-125th Year Democrat Twenty-Eight Pages Tuesday, Sept. 17,1985 Marysville-Yuba City, Calif. Single Copy 25< ash blocks Y-S bridge 'Wild beast' test rejected State court rejects Prop. 8 insanity defense condition SAN FRANCISCO (AP) - The state Supreme Court has rewritten Proposition 8, changing one word while saying that if the so-called Victim's Bill of Rights were followed literally it would have turned back the definition of insanity to a harsh 19th century standard. In the 6-1 opinion Monday, Justice Joseph Grodin said to find a defendant sane who either didn't know what he was doing or didn't know it was wrong, would unravel more than 140 years of rulings and return to the days when only a person with the understanding of a "wild beast'' could be found insane. The long-used standard accepted by the high court says that a person is insane when he or she is incapable of understanding the nature of the criminal act, "or" is incapable of distinguishing right from wrong in connection with the act. See Back Page, INSANITY | Wahlberg sues for false arrest Chris Coppin prepares to hook tow truck to the wreckage of a truck, trailer and backhoe that were coming off the 10th Street bridge into Marysville about 2:30 p.m. yesterday when the trailer broke loose from the truck and overturned, dumping the backhoe across the eastbound lanes of 10th (A-D photo by David Parker) Street. Marysville police said truck driver Jose L. Plata, an employee of Didar Bains' Kapany Ranch, managed to keep control of the truck, stopping it in the center divider on 10th Street iust past I Street. Traffic was blocked for almost two hours while the wreckage was removed. _ Publishers revising evolution texts State's demand for more on evolution sends science textbooks back to editors SACRAMENTO (AP) - Five major national publishers reportedly agree to revise their science textbooks to meet California's demand for more evolution education in junior high school. The agreement follows a precedent-shattering action last Friday in which the state Board of Education voted unanimously to reject every seventh and eighth grade science textbook offered by the nation's major textbook publishers, saying they had all "watered down" the sections on evolution to pacify fundamentalist believers in biblical creation. In rejecting nearly 30 textbooks by a dozen publishers, the board invited five publishers of what they deemed the best science books to rewrite their texts to offer more information on evolution and to resubmit those books for state approval. Francie Alexander, manager of the state Office of Curriculum Frameworks and Textbooks, said Monday that representatives of all five publishers had agreed to rewrite and resubmit their books. "We met with the publishers Friday afternoon immediately after the board's action, and the publishers indicated they will be making the changes," Alexander said. "The books will be revised to include the material on evolution as set forth The only publisher to respond immediately to requests by The Associated Press for comment was Bob Ritzheimer, west coast representative of Scott, Foresman and Co. of Glenview, 111. Asked if Scott Foresman and Co. plans to re- Former Yuba County Municipal Court Judge Donald Wahlberg. acquitted of a felony stolen property charge last month, is suing the county, the Sheriff's Department and its chief of detectives for false arrest. The suit for more than $6 million damages was filed yesterday in Yuba County Superior Court by Wahlberg and his wife. Donna. It alleges that the former judge was falsely arrested and imprisoned by sheriff's Detective/Sgt. Ed Meyer, the department's chief of detectives. May 1 on charges of buying stolen property and aiding a fugitive felon. The charges stem from Wahlberg s purchase of a computer allegedly stolen in an Oregon burglary. Wahlberg said in his suit that Meyer knew he had requested the Marysville Police Department run a check on the computer system before he bought it. A claim for $6.5 million damages - filed by Wahlberg with the Yuba County Board of Supervisors - was denied by the board Sept. 3. Wahlberg, 50, who left office as judge in January after running unsuccessfully for the Superior Court bench, claims in the suit that sheriff's detectives procured a warrant and arrested him even though they knew the former judge wasn't aware the computer system was stolen. Wahlberg was accused of buying the computer, valued at $5,600, for $900 last March from his wife's half-brother. Ronnie Baldwin. Wahlberg also was accused of aiding and abetting Baldwin, who was wanted on robbery and burglary warrants in Yuba County, Oregon and Texas. Wahlberg was cleared of those charges during a preliminary hearing in Yuba County Municipal Court late last month. Defendants knew at the time of said arrest and at the time of procur- See Back Page, WAHLBERG | Students, parents, teachers fired on 5~/.�c.Po9..ivotuT.oN� Scores arrested trying to reopen school Secretary in Helmut Kohl's office defects BONN. West Germany (AP) - A secretary in the office of Chancellor Helmut Kohl is suspected of spying and has fled to communist East Germany, the chief federal prosecutor's office said today. It is the first time the Bonn spy scandal has touched the chancellor's office since the affair began early last month with the disappearance of an aide to Bonn's economics minister. Prosecutor Kurt Rebmann said in a statement said that espionage investigations have been opened against both Herta-Astrid Willner, 45. and her husband, who worked in a foundation associated with a political party that is a member of Kohl's coalition government. West German radio, quoting Bonn security sources, said the missing See 4-7, SPY | Weather Mostly fair. High yester- day was 84; the overnight low was 56. Details A-7 Today Index Classified......... D2-5 Editorials.......... ............D6 Financial.......... B4-5 Lifestyles.......... C Section Comics..... ............C7 Crosswords..........C5 Family....... C2-3 Movies-TV ............C6 Sports.............. B Section Vital Statistics.. ............A7 'Comparable survives but SAN FRANCISCO (AP) - Low-paid female state employees can continue to press a massive pay-discrimination suit despite a recent ruling against "comparable worth,'' a federal judge said. But the odds of winning the suit have slimmed, warned U.S. district Judge Marilyn Hall Patel Monday. "You have a difficult row to hoe, but you're entitled to hoe it," Patel told representatives of the California State Employees Association, which represents more than 100,000 past and present female state employees seeking back pay. Patel said they must prove that the state practiced deliberate sex discrimination and didn't rely on the market in setting wages. The suit probably will be dismissed "if it turns out all they did was adopt wage scales in the private sector," she said. On Sept. 4, a three-member panel of the 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals overturned the nation's first worth' suit union warned statewide comparable worth" ruling, a decision that involved more than 15,000 Washington workers in female-dominated jobs. The court ruled that an employer can follow market wage rates even if those rates hurt women. The California suit is similar, claiming women's wages are lower than men's and charging the state government discriminated through job classification, hiring and promotion policies, as well as in salary scales. In a written decision that became public Monday, Judge Patel said the appeals court ruling did not forbid a sex-discrimination suit based on pay differentials between predominantly male and female jobs "where a discriminator}/ animus is shown, even though the wage rates may have had their antecedents in market rates." She also issued other rulings extending the scope of possible back-See Back Page, WORTH t JOHANNESBURG, South Africa (AP) - Police today fired rubber bullets and tear gas and arrested scores of students, parents and teachers who tried to reopen a high school closed because of rioting, witnesses said. Thousands of mixed-race youths around Cape Town heeded a call to defy the government's closure of 464 schools. Armed police turned people away at most places without incident, but clashes broke out at one school in the Athlone district. Police also fired rubber bullets and tear gas to break up crowds of students who were stoning Naledi High School in Soweto, near Johannesburg, said a reporter who witnessed the clash. Students told the reporter soldiers had ordered the youths to leave the school Monday, but the youths returned a day later seeking the principal, whom they suspected of working with police. One youth was seen taken away in an ambulance after the fighting. Meanwhile, South African soldiers and warplanes ranged into southern Angola for a second day in what the military said was a pre-emptive strike against black nationalist guer- rillas fighting South African rule over South-West Africa. The government had closed schools indefinitely Sept. 6 in Cape Town's mixed-race townships after fierce rioting in late August and early September left more than 30 people dead. More than 360,000 students normally attend the schools. Following an appeal Monday by a teachers' committee and other opposition groups, thousands of youths, teachers and parents turned up at school buildings this morning. Orga- See Back Page, SOUTH AFRICA |
Once upon a time newspapers were our main source of information. Now those old newspapers are a reliable source for hundreds of years of history and secrets of the past. Now you can search for people, places, and events without the hassle of sorting through mountains of papers!
Newspaper Archive is the world's largest online newspaper database featuring over 130 million newspaper pages. Plus our database expands by one newspaper page per second for a total of around 2.5 million pages per month! The value of your membership grows along with it.
Those looking to find out more about their forefathers can empower their genealogy search with Newspaper Archive. Within our massive database, users can search ancestors' names for news stories and obituaries. We must understand our past to understand our future!
24 hours a day Monday-Saturday
Your full introductory membership payment will be credited toward the cost of full membership any time you choose to upgrade!
"It is amazing how easy and exciting it is to access all of this information! I found hundreds of articles about my relatives from Germany! Well worth the subscription!" - Michael S.
"I love this site. It's interesting to read articles about different family members. I've found articles as well as an obituary about an uncle who passed away before I was born, and another about a great aunt. It's great for helping with genealogy." - Patricia T.
"A great research tool. Allows me to view events and gives me incredible insight into the stories of the past." - Charles S.