Get 1 more page view just for Liking us on Facebook
We are retrieving your image from the archive...
We are converting your image into tiles...
Anaheim Bulletin (Newspaper) - October 9, 1991, Anaheim, California GOOD MORNING Wednesday, Oct. 9, 1991 23 0 Low clouds and warm temperatures are in the forecast for today High 88 Low 61 Anaheim Senate postpones Thomas confirmation vote Richard L. Berke New York Times News Service WASHINGTON — After a day of divisive, emotional debate over one of the most politically charged issues before it in recent years, the Senate on Tuesday night agreed to postpone until next Tuesday the vote on the confirmation of Judge Clarence Thomas to the Supreme Court. The White House reluctantly agreed to the delay to allow time for the Judiciary Committee to hold hearings into accusations of sexual harassment that have set off a storm of outrage against the Senate, and caused many to demand closer scrutiny of Thomas. This highly unusual delay in the confirmation process resulted from the dramatic and carefully presented public accusation on Monday by Anita F. Hill, a law professor at the Uni versity of Oklahoma and a former Thomas aide. The decision to delay came more than two hours after the original 6 p.m. deadline for the vote had passed. George J. Mitchell, the majority leader, stepped onto the Senate floor and said that there were too many lingering questions about allegations against Thomas to call a vote Tuesday night. "The delay approved," Mitch ell declared, "is important to the integrity of the Senate, the integrity of the confirmation process, the integrity of the Supreme Court and the integrity of the individuals involved." Sen. Bob Dole, the Republican leader, also called for a delay, but only until Friday. He conceded, though, that Republicans were outnumbered. He said Republicans did not hold the Senate to a vote Tuesday night on the nomination because the tide was running so strongly against Thomas that he might have been rejected altogether Under the agreement, the charges of sexual harassment against Thomas, who has vehemently denied them, will be examined in hearings during the next week under ground rules that were being negotiated Tuesday night. In explaining the delay, Dole said that some of his Republican colleagues "would have rolled the dice at 6 p.m." But he added' in a mellow, candid tone, "I couldn't put together 60 votes at 6 o'clock." "It seemed to be that it was a gamble that should not be. taken," he said, adding that "some questions remain" that, probably should be answered. Sam Gangwer Anaheim Bulletin A pedestrian walks by the end of Anaheim Museum's wall mural, an Art in Public Places winner. Praising the arts Local benefactors receive group's recognition Tenants already eager for SRO Terri Vermeulen Anaheim Bulletin ANAHEIM — Stephen Quartararo doesn't have any doubts that there's a demand for affordable housing in the city. Just a day after his 208-unit project was approved by the planning commission, he had already started to receive calls from people who want to live in the city's first modern tenement housing project for the working poor. And the complex's waiting list could be quickly filled by thousands of Anaheim residents and tourist industry employees who earn minimum wage and need affordable housing, said Quartararo, vice president of Enviroprop. Enviroprop and property owners Linvest Partners have formed a partnership, Stadium Park West Partners, to develop the project in a vacant two-story office building at 1360 S. Anaheim Blvd. Quartararo hopes the development will be as successful as a similar project, the Peachtree Inn in San Diego, which drew a waiting list of more than 5,000 people within three months of its opening. San Diego has pioneered the modern single-room occupancy hotels that feature small living units with basic amenities. But his partnership can pioneer the county's first single-room occupancy hotel project for minimum wage and low income earners, Quartararo believes. Stadium Park West's plans to convert two, two-story office buildings into three-story residential complexes have drawn the best aspects out of four similar San Diego projects. Planning commissioners unanimously approved the project Monday after touring the single-room occupancy hotel in San Diego. The project will transform the 2.39-acre former office site into a complex with a large recreational area and 208 small one-room units. The 160- to 220-square-foot units will feature a twin or double bed, built-in desk, clothes closet, countertop and sink, toilet, shower, telephone, ceiling fan and heaters. The complex can be a benefit to developers because they can build more units than apartment owners can, while greatly reduced rents are offered to tenants. Nearly half of the units will be Please see HOUSINGM3 Terri Vermeulen Anaheim Bulletin ANAHEIM — About two years ago, restaurant owner Rufino Chammas commissioned a Las Vegas artist to paint a mural epicting the ruins of Venice, the fountains of Trevi and the last days of Pompeii on his restaurant wall. Since then, artist Mario Co-mo's mural has won praise from nearly every customer who walked into the restaurant at 938 S. Euclid St. But Chammas was astonished when he heard that the city's Art in Public Places committee had nominated his business for one of the group's annual awards. Chammas was among six business leaders who were honored Tuesday by the Anaheim Arts Council for their contributions to providing art in public places. Anaheim Commerce National Bank, Anaheim's Holiday Station Post Office, Carl Karcher Enterprises, Wells Fargo Bank and Anaheim Museum also were lauded for private artworks they have contributed to or displayed. The awards are given annually by the Anaheim Arts Council, based largely on nominations from the public. A 10-member committee investigated the art work and agreed to honor each of the sites, said Julie Mayer, Art in Public Places chairwoman. "The business community recognizes the value of installing art in their businesses," Mayer said. Anaheim Commerce National Bank continuously displays paintings, lithographs and sculptures in the bank's lobby at 3800 E. La Palma Ave. Artists who have work on displease see ARTM6 Infant drowns in backyard pool Opponents challenge school's schedule change Anne M. Peterson Anaheim Bulletin ANAHEIM — Francis Scott Key Elementary School teachers and parents Tuesday voiced concern over the proposed conver sion of their school to a year-round schedule. Anaheim City School District trustees and administrators discussed the possibility of transforming Key, Patrick Henry and John Marshall schools to year- round schedules to relieve overcrowding and projected growth for the nekt five years. Although six elementary schools originally were considered for year-round schedules, Superintendent Meliton Lopez said three would suffice for the 1992-93 school year. Jacqueline Rojas, a first-grade Key teacher, doesn't want her school switched to a year-round schedule. Please see SCHOOL//46 Vik Jolly Anaheim Bulletin ANAHEIM — When Phu Vu returned home from work Monday and didn't find his infant daughter in her crib, he was concerned. After five minutes of frantically searching the house he found her face down at the bottom of the unfenced backyard pool. "I jumped right in and picked her up. I tried to resuscitate her. She didn't have a pulse. I pumped her stomach and chest ... I thought she was going to make it," said the 27-year-old Anaheim man as he fought back tears. Twenty-two-month-old Cindy Vu couldn't be revived and she died at Anaheim Memorial Hospital, just a block away from her home. Vu said his elder sister, who routinely babysits his daughter while he and his wife work, had put the child to sleep around 3 p.m. and gone outside to do some gardening. But the child got up and wandered out of her parent's bedroom and into the pool area apparently looking for her, Vu said. Family members don't know how long the girl was in the pool. Vu found a blanket in which Cindy was wrapped — which she usually tagged along after she woke up — floating on the pool surface. Relatives believe the girl may have tripped on her blanket and fallen into the pool as she walked near its edge. "(But) she walked very well. She knew to stay away from the pool and was learning how to swim," said Vu's brother, Chieu, who lives with him. At the time of the drowning there were two other relatives in the house. Chieu Vu's sister's 11-year-old daughter was watching television and a 20-year-old cousin was studying in a back room, he said. "Everyone feels terrible ... I Please see GIRLM6 INDEX Your Freedom Newspaper KEY VICTORY: Katella High's girls tennis team narrowly defeats Esperanza, 11 -7, in an important Empire League matchup/B1 Almanac......... .. A2 Around town- .. A6 Business........ B12 Cityside.......... .. A2 Classifieds..... ,.B7 Comics........... B11 Entertainment B10 Features........ .. B9 Legal ads....... Market report.. B12 Obituaries...... .. A2 Opinion.......... .. A7 Sports............ .. B1 State news.... .. A5 TV log............ B10 Weather......... .. A2 World news ... A4 Vol. 69, No. 43; 2 sections, 20 pages Bakersfield No. 1 on Garlock Fault 'hit' list Lee Siegel Associated Press LOS ANGELES — A fault that stretches from California's agricultural heartland to Death Valley could produce a deadly, damaging earthquake measuring 7.8 on the Richter scale, a new study shows. The study deals with the 154-mile-long Garlock Fault, which passes near Bakersfield, Tehachapi, Mojave, Edwards Air Force Base, Lancaster, Palmdale, Ridgecrest, the China Lake Naval Weapons Center, the Fort Irwin Military Reservation, Barstow and Baker. The Garlock Fault's southwestern end intersects the San Andreas Fault at Tejon Pass, where the artist Christo is deploying 1,760 giant yellow umbrellas as part of his international art exhibit. The pass is about 35 miles south of Bakersfield at the south end of the San Joaquin Valley, the center of California's farm industry. If the entire fault ruptured at once, a "quite plausible" possibility, the resulting quake would measur^7.8 in magnitude, said the study by geolo- S gists Sally F. McGill, of California State University, San Bernardino, and Kerry Sieh, of the California Institute of Technology in Pasadena. "I would not be surprised if that earthquake generated some loss of life and considerable damage to structures," said McGill, whose study will be published in an upcoming issue of the Journal of Geophysical Research. The worst damage probably would occur in Bakersfield, where "I would expect some deaths," as many as 2,500 injuries and the collapse of unreinforced brick buildings and some structures built during the 1960s and 1970s, said Deputy Fire Chief Michael Kelly, the city's emergency services coordinator. Emergency planners in Lancaster, Ridgecrest and Barstow said they expect few deaths and only minor to moderate damage because their cities have few vulnerable buildings made of unreinforced brick, taller than two levels or built before modern construction codes. Scientists previously believed the Garlock could produce big quakes, but the study of geological traces left by prehistoric quakes reveals the sever ity of future jolts. By showing the fault produced big quakes during the past 1,000 years, the study "puts the fault in the same category as most of the state's historically destructive faults," Sieh said. The Garlock Fault consists of three segments. The study found that if each segment ruptured separately: ■ The western segment, from Tejon Pass to Cantil, would produce a magnitude-7.7. Besides Bakersfield, McGill said damage would be likely in Mojave and Tehachapi. ■ The central segment, from Cantil to the China Lake-Fort Irwin boundary, would generate a magnitude^.5 quake. McGill said Ridgecrest probably would sustain some building damage. ■ The eastern segment, from China Lake-Fort Irwin to Death Valley, would generate a quake measuring 6.6 to 6.9, probably not enough to produce heavy damage in Barstow and Baker, McGill said. Scientists don't know how soon the western and eastern segments might produce big quakes. But there is a 5 percent to 10 percent chance of a major jolt on the central segment within 30 years. I 1 I
Once upon a time newspapers were our main source of information. Now those old newspapers are a reliable source for hundreds of years of history and secrets of the past. Now you can search for people, places, and events without the hassle of sorting through mountains of papers!
Newspaper Archive is the world's largest online newspaper database featuring over 130 million newspaper pages. Plus our database expands by one newspaper page per second for a total of around 2.5 million pages per month! The value of your membership grows along with it.
Those looking to find out more about their forefathers can empower their genealogy search with Newspaper Archive. Within our massive database, users can search ancestors' names for news stories and obituaries. We must understand our past to understand our future!
24 hours a day Monday-Saturday
Your full introductory membership payment will be credited toward the cost of full membership any time you choose to upgrade!
"It is amazing how easy and exciting it is to access all of this information! I found hundreds of articles about my relatives from Germany! Well worth the subscription!" - Michael S.
"I love this site. It's interesting to read articles about different family members. I've found articles as well as an obituary about an uncle who passed away before I was born, and another about a great aunt. It's great for helping with genealogy." - Patricia T.
"A great research tool. Allows me to view events and gives me incredible insight into the stories of the past." - Charles S.