Get 1 more page view just for clicking
to like us on Facebook
Athens News Courier (Newspaper) - November 15, 2005, Athens, Alabama Iron Bowl 2005 I Alabama, Auburn enter game on vastly different notes IB The News-Courier Serving Athens and Limestone County: A Community of Tradition and Future Tuesday, November 15, 2005 encwscoiirier.com 50 Cents O'(yd TwCr t Et'Uh/ С John Conlon of Athens Subscriber of the day ■j An apology: In Sunday’s edition of The News-Courier. an expletive was unintentionally left in a Sound Off item. We apologize for the error. The News-Courier is a family newspaper and would not knowingly place such a word in the newspaper. Hey, Sound Off: Political correctness has started in North Alabama concerning using the word Christmas in advertising. I noticed in a flyer in the newspaper from a nationwide chain advertising a holiday tree that looked just like a Christmas tree to me. Also, some of the chain stores are advising their sales staff not to say Merry Christmas to their customers; instead they are to say Happy Holidays. Even though 85 percent of the U.S. claims to be Christian, these businesses are so politically correct that they do not want to take a chance of offending someone in the other 15 percent who may be an atheist, secular liberal or from another religion. As a Christian I am offended that they cannot say the word Christmas and I will not buy anything during the Christmas shopping season from your business. More Sound Off _Valley, 5A City tables two measures in face of opposition By Karen Middleton ancnewsia pdnet. net Athens City Council tabled two agenda items— one to rename a street and the other to relocate the animal shelter—Monday night after protests from several residents. Two Brownsferry Street residents, Nettie Pryor and Josephine Woodson, spoke against renaming their street in honor of Martin Luther King Jr. And Councilmen Harold Wales and Johnny C rutcher both reported being “swamped” over the weekend with calls from people objecting to the city’s plan to relocate the animal shelter to the site of the old Recycling Center on Stewart Drive, behind Roselawn Cemetery. This made two consecutive council meetings where proposals to rename a city street for Dr. King drew fire. The Limestone County Chapter of NAACP had first requested that the city rename Hine Street to honor MLK However, descendants of William Ernest Hine, a former Athens mayor for whom Hine Street was named objected and the See Council, Page 3A Public Works director explains growth talks Bn Karen Middleton ancnews(a pdnet. net Athens Public Works Director James Rich explained discussion topics for the benefit of three City Councilmen and two members of the local press Monday night, who were not informed about a planning session on Wednesday. Rich's presentation was at the request of Council President Ronnie Marks, who said the city had gotten some “bad publicity” in recent days for holding what he said was mistakenly termed a “closed” meeting to discuss possible annexations. Rich said that there was "no annexation discussions” See Growth, Page 2A Index Classified..... 4-fiR Comics....... ...3B Ledger ....... fiA Valley........ 5A Movie Listing .. ЗА Obituaries..... ?A Myrtle Anderson Evans A.E. Poti Martha Armstrong Porter Sports........ 1-2B Daily Bible Moment vil wen at id impostors will grow uorse and uvrse, deceiiing and being deceiwd. 2Timothy 3:13 Limestone Chapel 322 Hwv.31 N* Athens 256-232-1051 Obit line 256-771-0934 Get the news with your morning coff Subscribe to Tl)e News-Courier 232-2720 Law officers make inroads into growing meth problem Compiled by Chip Minemyer CNH! News Service Pat McWilliams thinks his county is getting a handle on methamphetamine, but he’S' not ready to celebrate. Henderson County, Texas, logged 19 meth-related arrests and raided one meth lab during August. A year ago. McWilliams figures, the county would have uncovered “probably four 2nd in a Series or five labs” per month. McWilliams, a spokesman for the Henderson County Sheriff's Department in Athens, said enforcement pressure and tougher state law s are helping agencies such as his deal with the meth problem. Texas, like many states, now requires pharmacists to keep products containing ephedrine or pseudoephedrine — used in meth production — behind counters. And customers must show identification to purchase products such as Sudafed and Clantin-D. That’s not to say methamphetamine is under control in Texas, which is among the national leaders each year in federal seizures of the drug, according to the Drug Enforcement Administration. On Sept. 9, Henderson County officials intercepted a pound of meth ice, with a street value of $30.000, McWilliams said. Three Dallas-area men were arrested in that incident, which occurred during a traffic stop. See Inroads, Page 3A Joseph C. Garza Tribune-Star, Terre Haute, Ind. First bust: An undercover officer from the Vigo County, Indiana, Drug Task Force displays a photo of the county’s first meth lab ever busted in 1998. At right, GloTell turns pink when exposed to air, helping law enforcement agents track anydrous ammonia, a component of meth manufacture. “You can’t let lip on this, or it will get on fop or you. — Drug agent Pat McWilliams Agent pink joins fight Bn Cv NT III A Fl CATE CNH I News Service NORTH SALEM. Ind. Agent pink has joined the war on meth. The additive marks stolen anhydrous ammonia with a pink dye that can help drug agents shut down meth production. In clandestine home laboratories, anhydrous ammonia is used to make methamphetamine. a highly addictive drug that acts like adrenaline on the central nervous system. Because methamphetamine is so cheap to produce using over-the-counter cold medicines and anhydrous ammonia from fertilizer it has become the high of choice for many drug users who break into storage facilities to siphon ammonia into smaller containers. Scott Spelman of Royster-Clark, Inc., said that’s where See Pink, Page 3A Cynthia Fugate CNHI Photo County fire alert not yet quenched by rainy days By Tashia Lovell tashia(àjj[Uhensne\vs-courier.com Limestone County, along with 32 other Alabama counties, was placed under a fire alert Fnday after approximately three and a half months of little rain in the area. Coleen Vansant, public information manager with the Alabama Forestry Commission, said that the alert would continue until there is widespread “miserable,” rain. According to Vansant, it is going to take more than one shower to relieve the emeigency. Vansant suggests that people clear leaves away from their home, remove pine straw from the roof of your home, clean gutters and remove any available natural fuel. She said the Forestry Commission would not be issuing any outdoor bum permits. The Forestry Commission will re-evaluate the situation after the rain passes through. The arson hotline number is 1-800-222-2927. Other nearby counties on alert includes Lauderdale, Morgan and Madison counties. A TREAT FROM MOTHER CHRISTMAS News-Courier/Kim Rynders Carolyn Stair, dressed as Mother Christmas, hands a cookie to 3-year-old Layton Romine during the Christmas Open House around the Limestone County Courthouse square Sunday. Retail stores were open from 1 p.m. to 5 p.m. to kick off the Christmas season. Santa Claus arrived by fire truck with a police escort and children were able to give Santa their wish lists and have pictures made.
Once upon a time newspapers were our main source of information. Now those old newspapers are a reliable source for hundreds of years of history and secrets of the past. Now you can search for people, places, and events without the hassle of sorting through mountains of papers!
Newspaper Archive is the world's largest online newspaper database featuring over 130 million newspaper pages. Plus our database expands by one newspaper page per second for a total of around 2.5 million pages per month! The value of your membership grows along with it.
Those looking to find out more about their forefathers can empower their genealogy search with Newspaper Archive. Within our massive database, users can search ancestors' names for news stories and obituaries. We must understand our past to understand our future!
24 hours a day Monday-Saturday
Your full introductory membership payment will be credited toward the cost of full membership any time you choose to upgrade!
"It is amazing how easy and exciting it is to access all of this information! I found hundreds of articles about my relatives from Germany! Well worth the subscription!" - Michael S.
"I love this site. It's interesting to read articles about different family members. I've found articles as well as an obituary about an uncle who passed away before I was born, and another about a great aunt. It's great for helping with genealogy." - Patricia T.
"A great research tool. Allows me to view events and gives me incredible insight into the stories of the past." - Charles S.