Friday, December 9, 1977

European Stars And Stripes

Location: Darmstadt, Hesse

Page: 6

Other pages in this edition:

Who (or what) are you looking for?

Find old articles about anyone, in the World’s Largest Newspaper Archive!

Other Newspapers from Darmstadt, Hesse


Other Editions from Friday, December 9, 1977


Text Content of Page 6 of European Stars And Stripes on Friday, December 9, 1977

European Stars And Stripes (Newspaper) - December 9, 1977, Darmstadt, Hesse Page 6 THE STARS AND STRIPES Friday, December 9, 1977Sign of the timesAs U.S. Treasurer, Azie Taylor Mor-ton's handwriting has appeared withTreasury Secretary W. Michael Blu-menthal's signature on 12 million newbills each day since October. Mortonsays, "I think we ought to look at therole of the treasurer in government. Ithink it needs to be upgraded." —AP$30,000 worth stolen by ringThieves find Biblesa lifting experienceNASHVILLE, Term. (AP) — Shockedpolice in this Bible belt town said Wednes-day they had arrested three members of aring that stole up to 1,200 Bibles worth anestimated $30,000 and apparently turnedsome of them over to a "connection" in theNorth.Officers said they expected more ar-rests and had recovered hundreds of theBibles stolen from the warehouse ofThomas Nelson Publishers, which claimsto be the largest publisher of Bibles in thenation."Never before to my knowledge in nineyears of police work have I heard of thiskind of thing," said police detective DavidLeaver, 30."I've heard of one or two Bibles beingstolen from motel rooms, but this is thefirst time an organized Bible theft ring hasbeen uncovered that I know of," he said."Thou shall not steal — it's in the Bible.They should have read the Bible. We are inthe Bible belt here and things might gopretty rough on them," he said. "Theymight get struck by lighting."Officers arrested a Nelson employeeMonday night. On Tuesday, two more sus-pects, one a former employee, were takeninto custody and accused of receiving andconcealing 1,200 stolen Bibles.Leaver said authorities were "trying tofind out now what their connections were."He said the missing Bibles had shown up inseveral Northern bookstores."They were different colors and kinds,with leather backs," Leaver said. "Theywere pretty expensive Bibles. They'd beretailed for $ 19.95 to $39.95. There was $30,-000 worth. They had an inside connectionat the warehouse."Leaver and three other officers stakedout the warehouse Tuesday night and fol-lowed a truck from there to a service sta-tion. Leaver told a reporter they saw theBibles transferred to two pickup trucksand followed them to a trailer park. Thepolicemen moved in as' the Bibles weretransfered to a small storehouse.Leaver declined to discuss further de-tails of the investigation.statesideFBI captures man on its 'most wanted' listWASHINGTON (UPI) — The FBI hascaptured one man on its "most wanted"list and added the name of another.Patrick Huston, 47, accused of a 1974robbery of a bank in New York City, wascaptured without incident in Fort Lauder-dale, Fla., the FBI said Wednesday.Huston and two other suspects escapedfrom prison while awaiting trial. Theothers were recaptured and later con-victed.The FBI added the name of Enrique Es-trada to the list, saying he was a drug userand faced charges of robbing and beatingto death two elderly women in their Holly-wood, Calif, homes.Anticipation proved too much for waiting wifeLOS ANGELES (UPI) — A Russian andhis American wife, who had not seen eachother for more than a year because he wasdenied an exit visa by Soviet authorities,were reunited at the airport Wednesdaynight, after she fainted from anticipationof his arrival.Elaine Besedin, 24, was revived after afew seconds in time to greet her husband,Victor, 24, with hugs and kisses, when hearrived a few minutes later. Surroundedby a large group of reporters and photog-raphers, she slumped to the floor as otherpassengers on his flight began arriving inthe reception area. •Besedin also saw his 14-monih-old childfor the first time.Besedin originally was scheduled toarrive last Saturday but his wife waited invain at the airport. The reason for thedelay was not disclosed.They married while she was on a studyexchange program in Russia in 1976. Shereturned to the U.S. in August 1976, whenher visitor's visa expired, but her husbandwas denied an exit visa.Bill to lower D.C. marijuana penalties vetoedWASHINGTON (AP) — Mayor WalterE. Washington vetoed a bill which wouldhave lowered penalties for possession ofless than one ounce of marijuana in theDistrict of Columbia to the same as a traf-fic offense.Under the bill, approved 7-6 last monthby the city council, adults caught with lessthan an ounce of marijuana would receivecitations similar to traffic slips for the firstthree offenses. A fourth offense couldcarry a $1,000 fine and mean up to one yearin jail.A city spokeswoman. said the mayormay approve a revised version of the bill ifprohibitions against trafficking in otherdrugs such as heroin are strengthened.Church officials and four of the councilmembers who voted against the bill hadlobbied for the veto. About 18 states al-ready have approved legislation similar tothe bill.Posf office won't accept any bull in the mailOKLAHOMA CITY, Oklahoma (UPI) — A rampaging Brahman bull nearly stayed thefaithful postman from his appointed rounds Wednesday. At least he created havoc on aloading dock at the main post office.The animal fled the Husband Brothers Packing Co., about five blocks away and bargedinto a fenced mail loading area."Some guys from the packing plant were trying to catch him, and that bull jumpedright up onto the dock," dock supervisor Joe Carrel said. "He was full grown, with thehump and all."I got pretty close to him, with something between me and him," Carrel said. "And hedidn't have any postage on him so I wanted somebody to come and get him and take himback." The bull finally was shot and the carcass hauled away to a packing house.Could Chicken Man top an operator like this?GRANTS PASS, Ore. (UPI) — Animalcontrol officer Roger Speck knows how tohandle a chicken roundup.When a truck carrying several hundredchickens stalled in downtown Grants PassWednesday, about three dozen of the fowlslipped free and scattered under the truckand along the sidewalk.Speck arrived and had no trouble round-ing up the strays — he simply sprinkledgrain under the truck.He then put up some chicken wire andcorralled them when they rushed under toeat.Pearl Harbor revenge attack toldHONOLULU (AP) — American war-planes strafed four fishing boats mannedby crewmen of Japanese ancestry in Ha-waiian waters the day after the Japaneseattack on Pearl Harbor, killing six civil-ians, surviving crewmen have claimed.Wednesday's Honolulu Star-Bulletinsaid two of the survivors, Seiki Arakakiand Sannosuke Onishi, identified theplanes that attacked them on Dec. 8, 1941— 26 years ago Thursday — as P40s.All four of the sampan-design fishingboats were based at Kewalo Basin, neardowntown Honolulu, they said, and nonecarried a flag. Most of the crewmen on theboats were American citizens, the papersaid.Arakaki, 57, of Honolulu, said he was acrewman aboard the sampan Kiho Maru,which had been fishing off Oahu's leewardcoast since Dec. 4. He said the crew real-ized "something was happening" on Dec. 7when it saw columns of smoke comingfrom Pearl Harbor that morning and sawthe island in darkness that night.The sampan did not have a radio, Ara-kaki said, and did not learn of the attackuntil another sampan pulled alongside anddelivered the news later that night.The Kiho Maru met three other sam-pans the next morning and all four headedtoward Kewalo Basin."All of a sudden, there were.four or fiveArmy P40s flying over us," Arakaki said."Each picked out a target and attacked."The sampans were about two miles offBarber's Point, about 10 miles west ofPearl Harbor, at the time of the incident,he said.Nine crewmen survived the mid-morn-ing attack, but most were wounded. All butthree have since died.After the planes attacked, a destroyerarrived on the scene and dispatchedlaunches to tow the sampans, with thedead and wounded, back to Kewalo Basin,the survivors said.They were taken to a civilian hospitalwhere the wounded were kept underarmed guard."We were questioned. They asked us'What were you doing out there, helpingJapanese submarines?'" said Arakaki.Both Arakaki and Onishi said they weretold that U.S. authorities found "enemybullets" on their sampans."I knew otherwise, but I couldn't sayanything," Araki said.Several of the victims' families later pe-titioned the U.S. government for compen-sation, the Star-Bulletin said. In 1967, 26years after the incident, the widow of theKiho Maru skipper received $8,000.Takumi received about $2,500 and pro-ceeds from the sale of fish that was in hisboat on the day of the attack. Onishi saidhe received nothing because he was analien and was told he had no claim.Onishi, 78, said he bears no grudgeabout the attack."I look at it this way — I thank my Godthat I'm still alive," he said.Arakaki said he served in the U.S. Armybut was unable to get a job at PearlHarbor after the war."At that time I felt that if I had a gun Iwould have shot somebody," he said. "Butat this moment, I have no feelings."